Baked Halloween cookies

I wanted to try out some new cookie shapes for Halloween so I sat down yet again and made some new Halloween templates: Ghost, bat, pumpkin, coffin and a rat. They were a little bit difficult to cut out by hand, so thats why I have only made two of each shape.

I have also tried to make some “Witch fingers” out of the cookie dough. But the first batch ended up looking more like swollen fingers and not long, thin and “creepy”. So I had to make some adjustments with the new cookie dough and hopefully will the new “Witch fingers” turn out a lot better than the first ones (I will let you know)

Btw if there are anyone who have experience with colored cookie dough. I would be happy to know if I should use: powder or gel colors in my cookie dough?

Now I will go back into the kitchen and make some royal icing for the cookies so I can start on the fun part, decorating!

Comments

1. Gerry Marrs says

I really like the way the shapes came out. Nice and smooth. Do you use a special sugar cookie recipe? I have tried with a regular cookie recipe and they do not come out looking like yours. I use copper and plastic cut outs. Which do you find the best to use? Since you make your own templates do you use a kit to make metal cookie cutters. I really enjoy your website and have learned a lot about decorating. Thank you so much for sharing.

You can use the gel without a problem. The added wettness of the gel is handled with the flour used to roll the dough out, whereas the powders can make the dough dry and crumbly.

3. kimberley says

Do you have the recipe for your sugar cookies on your website? If so, where. Whenever I make sugar cookies they always come out puffy. Thank you,

4. pearse says

Wow! Incredible. The details came out good. I like how the rat’s tail came out. What cookie recipe did you use for this(something which doesn’t make details swollen up) would you kind enough to post it.
    Thanks

Good Morning Louise,

Even though I don’t care for the subject matter, you would never know that these were cut by hand. They are perfection!

6. Allie says

Will you show how you decorated them because i have some new halloween cookie cutters i want to use but not sure how to decorae

7. Anonymous says

I use gel coloring when I color my cookie dough. My favorite is to use orange and yellow and make a tye dy effect for fall leaves.