Cake bites

Cake bites

I had some cake scraps from the wedding cake so I decided to make some pretty cake bites to indulge with my afternoon tea. Cake bites is made out of cake scraps (I used chocolate cake) and is mixed with either buttercream, cream cheese frosting or chocolate ganache until it looks likes a sticky “dough” that you can mould. You can add flavours like sugar syrup or liqueur if you like.

Roll the “dough” into small bite sizes and chill them in the refrigerator for about 1 hour. Then decorate them as you desire with melted chocolate, poured fondant or sprinkles. If you are planning to roll the cake bites in sugar sprinkles, then do it the moment that you have rolled the cake bites while they are still soft and sticky. Otherwise it can be hard for the sugar sprinkles to attach the cake bite.

I decorated some of my cake bites with “home-colored” pink sprinkles and covered the rest with poured fondant and decorated them with green vines and some small pink gum paste sugar flowers. Placed in paper cups these small cake bites would be a perfect treat for a tea party.

Comments

Honey Cakes: It can be difficult to cover the cake bites in sprinkles when they are firm. Try use some sugar syrup on your hands and roll the bites so they get sticky and then roll them in the sprinkles.

Hi Louise I made some of these on the weekend and they turned out great thanks to your great tutorial. But how did you get the sprinkles over the whole ball. I could only get mine on the top. Did you roll them in the sprinkles. I thought of doing that but thought it would get chocolate over the colour of the sprinkles. thank again for great website!

Finally I had enough scraps from a cake to make some cake bites :D
    I’ve been wanting to try these for a while now, ’cause they really look charming.

I’ve been an ardent lurker on your site for some time now. Just wanted to give a big thumbs up and wish you succes in continuing it!

Hi, Louise! I’m new to your website and I enjoy your pictures and tips very much. You are quite an artist. I would like to address Marielba from Venezuela. I am from Puerto Rico and I’m wondering if you wouldn’t mind sharing your recipe for trupas?

Jenny: ;-) I have had the same problem once with my leaves (royal icing) But I learned that the RI needs to be soft peak, without beeing to soft. When you pipe your leaves pay attention to first pipe with pressure to make the “heart” then loosen up and softly pull back. That should ive you the pointed tip with out it breaking off.

Try one day only to pipe leaves on a piece of parchment paper. It is a good learner:-)

6. Jenny says

Hey Louise! You always have such beautiful creations! I hate it! It makes me so jealous because all of your things look absolutely perfect! I’m so jealous! Is that buttercream or royal icing that you decorated the leaves with? Because whenever I use either of them, my leaves never have that beautiful solid point that you get with your leaves.. They always break off towards the end so I’m stuck with this odd looking leaf that looks half eaten by bugs!

7. Tash Jeffery says

These are beautiful! What a clever idea too! I can’t wait to try making some of these…..

8. melissa says

Ohh wow, thats good to know! Thanks so much. Yeah it really is a great idea. You can match things soo perfectly together. But i really love your pink color!! Im definitely trying these soon!! Thanks again!!

9. Heather says

They truly are beautiful. Just found your website this week, it is spectacular. So many great ideas! I can’t wait to try making the sprinkles. Thanks for the inspiration.