CakeJournals July favourites

Here are another round of favourites…

No cakes without eggs!
Eggs
This summer we decided that we wanted to start raising our own chickens. We have the French breed: Marans, also known as the “chocolate egg layers”. I have four young hens and one young rooster at the moment. I have to wait about 2 months before I can go out to the coop and collect my own “chocolate eggs”. The first cake made with my own eggs, will sure be something special!

Photo from Wikipedia

Squeeze bottles:
Squeeze bottle
The squeeze bottles are the greatest helper when it comes to flooding cookies. When I first started decorating cookies, I used a piping bag. With these bottles, I can flood lots of cookies at a time and I can store any leftover icing in the squeeze bottles. If you love to decorate cookies and don’t have one of these squeezing bottles, I can only highly recommend that you get some.

I have listed a few shops where you can get them:
CopperGifts
Karens Cookies
Cakes, Cookies & Crafts

Comments

1. Madhulika Dev says

“No cakes without eggs!”
    You just gave me a heart attack.
    Hi my name is Madhu and i am a baker in process, I am from India and i have lots of vegetarian friends who don’t have eggs and they keep requesting “Egg less Cakes”.

I love your website, appreciate your work very very much.
    Keep up the good work.

What a great blog=D You seem really talented=D (I stumbled on here and have been just snooping around for half an hourXP)
    I don’t know if you do requests, or maybe you have already done a post like this, but I just can’t seem to get my cream cheese frosting right, it keeps getting lumpy. (You know, like the frosting that goes on carrot cake.) It doesn’t matter how much I beat it, it just has all these butter lumps in it. It tastes fine, it just doesn’t look that good. Could you do a tutorial on that maybe, please?
    Anyway, I am gonna stalk you now<3 (on this blog that is^^,)

3. Anonymous says

LOL!! I think that would take me lots and lots of practice…. I would be great if they could ;-)

4. Samantha Wright says

Wow id love my own chickens but i lived in a built up area and not allowed anything like that :-( these eggs are a fabulous colour tho very strange never saw anything like it!

5. Lexy says

I haven’t bought any of these little containers but will as soon as I get to my local decorating store.

I’ve read the hint to fill them by putting your icing in a plastic bag, cut the tip, and squeeze into the container.  Hope thats one you might try.

6. R Armstrong-Koelma says

Congratulations on your Chickens! I hope to get this type of chicken soon. We have 6 chickens already, 2 lay blue coloured eggs. Fresh eggs are the BEST.

• Anonymous says

Thank you :-) Are they Araucanas? I never thought that it would be so much fun to have chickens. I can’t wait for my eggs.

7. Gloria says

I thought they really were chocolate eggs when I first looked. I do envy you Louise – but couldn’t keep chickens here – too many foxes which I also love.

BTW did you also pipe around cookie with squeezy? I have these so will definitely be trying them out. Thanks Louise.

8. Carolinacook says

Bravo to you and your chickens.  I have my own chickens (Buff Orpington s…the quintessential farm chicken).  As a scratch (no, not chicken scratch) baker, I love gathering fresh eggs each day.  The difference between a fresh egg and a store bought one is obvious.  The yolks stand higher and are  richer yellow.  The only down side is that when you make a French buttercream frosting with whole eggs, the finished product is definitely YELLOW such that it affects efforts to add food colouring….but it is such a pretty yellow that you really won’t mind.
    I can’t wait to see your first “fresh egg” cake!  Welcome to the wonderful world of “grow your own”.

• Anonymous says

I love the Orpington breed too. They are just a big pile of fluffy feathers :-) Yes, I can’t wait for those rich yellow yolks.

9. Spring says

Dear Marian,
    Please tell me an easy way to fill those bottles!  imanaged it with a paper cone, but it was so hard!

• Anonymous says

I place a plastic piping bag in the squeeze bottle and pour in my thinned RI. Then I can slowly squeeze it into the bottle.

10. Franchesca Baker says

would this work well with making royal icing characters, such as penguins?  I am making royal icing penguins for a cake in 2 weeks