Daisy and sprinkle cupcakes

Today it has been raining all day here in Copenhagen. To brighten up things a bit I made some vanilla cupcakes decorated with blue buttercream icing, sugar paste daisies and sugar sprinkles. I have bought a new cake book: Fairy Cakes by Joanna Farrow and I tried out her buttercream recipe on these cupcakes. It was very creamy and light, the best I have tasted so far If you are interested in this book you can find it here US or UK

Happy Caking

Comments

I use 5 oz unsalted butter, 8 oz icing sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 2-4 teaspoons of luke warm milk.

Beat well with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add food coloring if desired.

2. Yan says

Hi Louise, will you be so kind as to share the recipe for making the buttercream icing on this cupcake? Thanks alot.

Hi Yan!

For the swirl I have used the techniques from the Wilton site: http://www.cupcakefun.com/techniques/1mswirl.cfm and I use the 1M nozzle tip.

I know the problem of getting the bc “white” if you dont use shortning there is white. I have some super white powder from Sugar Flair that makes it a bit more whiter to the BC. But dont add it before the butter was very “light” in color.

You could also try make bc out of half butter, half shortning that maybe gives a more light bc?

I think that I have used a tiny bit of Wilton: Skye blue.

Hope that helps:)

4. Yan says

Hi, Yan again.. I’ve been trying to make buttercream but when I mix in blue colour, it becomes green due to the fact that the buttercream base is yellow because of the butter. How do I remedy that and get a nice blue colour like yours?

• Xxsiobhan20xx says

hi yan perfect way to get bright white buttercream add a tiny bit of violet food colouring this blocks out the yellow and gives you white buttercream :)

5. Yan says

Hi, I chanced upon your journal and I’m very impressed with your works of art! I’m from Malaysia! Can you teach the technique you use you create the buttercream swirl on your cupcakes? What nozzle tip do you use?

6. Anonymous says

hi. i am impressed with your buttercream. they look delicious and look like they hold up very well. would you mind sharing your buttercream and sugarpaste recipes please? thanks