Easter egg cake pops coated with chocolate

Easter egg cake pops coated with chocolate and sugar sprinkles

Which holiday is your favourite? Mine is definitely Easter. For that reason I have decided to start out early with the Easter treats this year. I think I like Easter so much because it’s in the spring where the days gets longer, the weather gets warmer and everything starts to bloom.

With Easter and spring on my mind, I got the idea of making some Easter egg shaped cake pops, coated with chocolate and decorated with sugar sprinkles. All in nice light colors to get the feeling of springtime. The cake pops are made from the same “dough” as I use for my cake bites. For coating, I used Merckens candy melts, but you could use any type of chocolate, made for coating.

Using chocolate for cake decorating, is not something I do very often. Adding to this, the candy melts is a bit more tricky to melt than regular chocolate. This made it quite a challenge to get the covering of the cake pops just right. After some hair pulling and swearing, I finally got the hang of it. Here is a few of the things that worked well for me.

After making the cake pops and putting them on the sticks, you put them in the refrigerator for about half an hour, so that they could get chilled before coating them. Doing this makes the chocolate harden faster when it is applied to the cake and makes it less likely to run. While the cake pops are in the fridge you can start to get the chocolate melted.

Put the candy melts in a large bowl, so that they can be spread out as much as possible, and heat them in the microwave oven for 30 seconds on approx. 500W. Then take the bowl out and give the candy melts a good stirring. Keep repeating this until all the candy melts are melted and the mass has temperature of approx. 45 C (133 F). Let it cool off a bit so it’s around 40 C (104 F) when you start to coat the cake pops.

Sugar sprinkles in nice light spring colors

I coated the cake pops twice to get a solid white color. If you do 6-8 cake pops at the time, the rotation fits so that you can start coating the second time, right after you are done with the first round. If you wish to use sprinkles like I did, you should not wait more than 1-1,5 minute after coating the second time, before applying them. Otherwise parts of the chocolate will already be hard and the sprinkles will not be able to stick.

I think the chocolate coating gives the Easter egg cake pops a real sense of an egg shell and it tastes great too. I am sure that I will be using chocolate for coating more often in the future, than I have done before. Who knows, I might even make a tutorial on how to coat a cake pop with chocolate.

Comments

1. Debby says

I love your blog. I just starting doing cake pops about a month ago and I LOVE making them. They are incredibly yummy. I just wanted to note, though, in response to this blog post — Mercken’s is not actually chocolate. It’s a candy coating. You can get the same white result, without serving up the hydrogenated oil sludge, by using real white chocolate instead. I just color it lightly, once melted, using a bit of food color gel.

2. Dolciecioccolato says

ok…allora…questo sito è fantastico!!!!!
    lo salvo subito nei preferiti perchè non posso assolutamente perderlo di vista….
    complimenti, bravissimi!!!!!
    a presto,
    ciaooooooooooooooooooooo

3. Marian says

Louise, as usual you have create a gorgeous edible work of art! Beautiful colors, design, and they look oh so delicious! Thank you for always being such an amazing inspiration!!

Hi,
    I’ve never done Easter cake pops, but after reading this post I will start practising this technique. Your colour choice is absolutely fantastic too. I can’t wait to read another blog post from you.

5. Kmscearce says

I cool the cake first in fridge, then with chocolate melts melted insert the stick 1/2 in in melts then insert in cake pop. It helps to keep cake from falling off the stick. Then insert cake pop in melts to cover. Also if you roll cake mixture too tight it will expand and crack your coating. FYI

6. GlacierBlueWaters says

Ooooh, it feels so nice to give something back to YOU, Louise!!
    I hope this hint, for an easier way to work with candy melts. works for you.

Many companies make a product called Paramount Crystals. When I make cake pops (or mostly anything that needs to be coated in melted chocolate) I use them to make the job go smoother as you can control the consistency of the chocolate.

For something small like cake pops, dipped Oreos, etc. I prefer using a small deep container like a heat safe glass mug. Simply fill with candy melts, then sprinkle on a bit of Paramount Crystals. And, just as you directed. microwave about 30 seconds, stir, repeat until smooth. Start out with a small amount like 1/4 teaspoon, then add as much as you want for the consistency that you need with a particular project.

You can always add more crystals, or more chocolate – it’s fast, it’s easy – no checking with thermometers, and no exact ratios are needed.

Thank you Louise for sharing your time, your know-how and your creative ideas!
    Cindy

• Anonymous says

Thank you so much for this VERY useful tip. I have seen Paramount Crystals, just didn’t know what they were used for. I will make sure that I order some of those next time. I guess I am a little behind in the cake pop craze. But it sure is a fun thing to do.