Introducing Jean Michel Raynaud

Jean Michel with Hasselblad

I have been so lucky to be contacted by one of my favourite cake designers in the world who make some of the most beautiful cakes designs. His name is Jean Michel Raynaud a frenchmen living in Sydney, Australia. He has worked as a cake decorator for over 20 years now and he is at the moment general manager and creative director of Sweet Art in Sydney.

Jean Michel have had 10 covers in the main cake magazine in Australia and he have made cakes for several celebrities aswell. He has agreed to answer questions regarding cake decoration from the readers of CakeJournal. So if you have a cake question you would like to ask a true cake artist then please send it to me. I will to begin with select 10 questions and send them to Jean Michel. When he has answered I will publish both questions and answers here on CakeJournal. I hope to get lots of interesting questions from you :-)

I will finish this post with some of Jean Michel’s beautiful creations. Enjoy!

JM Lalique
JM silver gold square

Happy Caking

Comments

1. Bonnie says

oops, sorry. My question was…. I’ve tried alot of buttercream recipes out there and I still have not found one I truly like. They are all very sweet. What would Jean Michael suggest? one that is not too sweet, holds its shape and can last without refrigeration? Thanks a bunch from Canada.

This is really great. I will soon send questions to Jean Michel.

Cake Bunny: No that camera IS cake!!! Incredible right??

3. Cake Bunny says

OK, I’m just going to ask it…is that camera a cake? Not the tripod part, but the top part? Mabe it’s just the fact that the picture is B&W, but I have to know LOL!

Ok…..i’m back again. I keep looking at that fabulous cake. It makes me want to run to the cake store and try to practice his style

Response to renee: There is this stuff called bettercreme.I think it’s the brand name, but i’m not sure. I know I can get it in my local cake supply store. I swear by it. It tastes like whipped cream and holds it’s shape pretty well. I usually make my cakes with this. I’m not a big fan of buttercream.

5. Edna says

What is a good learning guide for string work? I have several books but is there a good DVD out there concerning it? Thank you.

6. Rachel says

Hi Louise :) Wow, where do I start with my questions?! I think I have too many.
    I live in Australia (about 5 hours from where the Sweet Art shop is) and would drive, run, walk, crawl, just to get to do some work experience with Jean Michael for a day, 2 days, a week perhaps? Spending some time with him to see how he works would be invaluable and soooo amazing for my career! Please please please :)

7. Adetutu says

Thanks for the mail. It is really encouraging .Hiscakes are superb ,shows a lot of expertise.I am looking forward to the day I will decorate cakes like that.Everything neat and beautiful. All edges straight and square.Very lovely imagination and ideas.Really good.I feel like knowing so much like him. thanks . You are a gift. More of such good things.

8. nayeli says

Hi Louise!
    So cool this opportunity thank you….

I would love it if he could share his recipe for butter cream, I have learn that most of the very good decorator like him and you use their own little tricks to have no air in it, flavors etc.

Thanks !

My question is this – I live in Melbourne, and I find that good decorating teachers are very hard to find. I’ve already got experience but would like some further education, especially in some of the finer details. There are a fair few beginner courses around, but that’s about it. Would Jean Michel be wiling to take on an apprentice for a week?

M