Mini cakes

I made these four mini cakes for fun this week. I baked a 6″ square cake and filled it with chocolate ganache. I used a 2″ round cutter to cut out four small cakes. Crumb coated them with ganache and covered them with chocolate and regular marshmallow fondant.

Happy Caking

Comments

1. viv says

Hi Louise,
    lovely mini cakes you’ve got here. I need your advice on how to make your fondant stick to BC. The last time I make a cake with rolled fondant, it didnt stick to the cake and I didnt like the outcome. What did I do wrong?

• Anonymous says

I have never really tried that the rolled fondant would not stick to the cake. Could it be because you used a crusting BC? You can try and brush a thin layer of piping gel on top of the BC without messing the smooth surface.

2. Tara.D says

hi Louise,
    my name is Tara Davies and i was just looking up mini cakes on Google because i love making cakes and cupcakes so i clicked on one and brought me to this blog and i just wanted to ask you if you went to Tafe, university or collage to study pastry because i want to be like you when i grow up and i really want to no if you have to go to uni or any other places to study and i hoped you could tell me if you did.
    Thankyou
    P.S
    i really like your cake/ cupcake designs they are really nice. these are some cupcakes i made my friend for her 13th

3. CYNDI says

this is awesome advice from everyone. I am doing mini wedding cakes for my cousins wedding and this was such helpful information. Thank you all.

Just a tip – I made mini cakes for the first time a few months ago. This is how I did them. I had 150 to make.

1 12 x 18 resulted in 25 2″ mini cakes – so i baked 6 different flavors.

Each cake baked up 2″

I split the cake in half and used a piece of cardboard to left the top layer. I then filled the cake and replaced the top layer.

Each cake was freezed for about 1-2 hours – not the point of being hard as a rock – but firm.

I used a 2″ biscuit cutter – something that was tall – a traditional cookie cutter won’t work. It has to get through 2 1/2″ in height of cake.

Afterwards – I iced each.

Now covering in fondant – here is a trick. I set the cakes aside in the fridge – let the icing firm up some.

While they were firming up – I rolled out a big sheet of fondant and got my 5″ cookie cutter out (round). I cut a bunch of these circles and placed into a gallon ziploc….I repeated and repeated. This size worked perfectly!!! Each cake was covered with little to no waste.

I can’t wait to make these again!

• Anonymous says

Yes, making large cakes and then cut out the mini cakes is a smart trick. Then you can use all leftovers for cake pops ect.

5. adrianne says

dear louise,

thank you so much for your time and recipe.
    ok, i will heed your advice and i hope to make pretty cakes like yours =)

lotsa love always,
    adrianne

adrianne:

250ml sugar + 250ml water put in a sauce pan and bring it to the boil. Turn the heat off and let it cool down before you add the seeds from 1 vanilla pod

Store it in the refrigerator if not used.

2+4: Since mini cakes can be difficult to handle, I would use a very thin layer of bc for the crumb coat and then maybe 2 layers of RF instead of 1? I also think that chocolate ganache is better as a crumb coat because it seals/smooth better. Make it a bit more liquid before you add it.

3: I dont really have a recipe for marble cake, sorry. But Im sure that you can find one over at cakecentral.com ?

Good luck!

7. adrianne says

hello louise,

wow, thank you so much for taking the time and having the patience for all of us louise. i hope you can help me too.i took up the task of making the miniature cakes for my bf’s bro’s wedding soon.

1) can you please recommend a good syrup recipe?its for marble cake with vanilla bean BC.

2)i will be baking the mini cakes using the alan silverwood multi mini round pans.have you the same advice for me in handling and crumb coating the cakes?

3)any good marble cake recipe that you can recommend please? i find that the recipe that i use is a wee bit runny, hence there was minor seeping.

3)i find that my cake didn’t have a smooth fondant surface after i tried wrapping the cake with RF. please advice.

8. Louana says

him I need to make 120 mini cakes for next week. would it be easier if I cover the cakes with melted fondant? instead of rolled fondant?