Race track birthday cake

Race track birthday cake

I made this race track birthday cake for my sons fifth birthday. The themes has always been trains except for a Lightning McQueen cake and this year it was racing car theme again. So when I saw a really cool cake design on flickr, I just knew that I had to try it out.

The racing cars is made out of fondant with tylo powder so they were really firm. To cut out the stripes for the side of the cake, I used the Multi-Ribbon Tool from FMM.

img_racing-cars

My birthday boy was very very happy when we served the cake :-) Now I only need to make Ninja Turtle cupcakes for his kinder garden so I better start coloring some green fondant.

Happy Caking

Comments

Jenny: I buy the black fondant :-) It is too difficult to get a really good black. But you can try and color some dark chocolate fondant black. That works really good.

2. Jenny says

Hi, I love this cake and want to have a go at making one for my son, but I have tried to make black icing in the past and only managed dark grey – how do you get the black? Have you used food colouring and roll-out icing or paint? I’ve been googling and it sounds like it could end up tasting funny – any secrets?!

Thanks
    x

3. Jen says

I love this cake! I’m going to attempt this for my 2 year old. Any instructions on how to make the racing cars?

4. Holly says

This is a wonderful cake, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! I am going to attempt it for my son’s 5th birthday – not sure I can do it nearly as nice as yours, but I’ll try! :-)

Tiffany: Well I do not have a number cake tin so I made a template and cut out from a sheet cake. This was a 2 layer cake.

6. Tiffany says

Okay I know I’m a new comer to the cake world. But how in the world did you make the 5 shaped cake. I need a 3. Did you carve it from a big sheet cake? Was it 2 layers? I know this a a supper stupid question but what kind of recipe would make a cake this big. I have to do this for my sons 3rd. He will LOVE it.