Race track birthday cake

Race track birthday cake

I made this race track birthday cake for my sons fifth birthday. The themes has always been trains except for a Lightning McQueen cake and this year it was racing car theme again. So when I saw a really cool cake design on flickr, I just knew that I had to try it out.

The racing cars is made out of fondant with tylo powder so they were really firm. To cut out the stripes for the side of the cake, I used the Multi-Ribbon Tool from FMM.

img_racing-cars

My birthday boy was very very happy when we served the cake :-) Now I only need to make Ninja Turtle cupcakes for his kinder garden so I better start coloring some green fondant.

Happy Caking

Comments

1. Melody says

Hi,what steps did u use when icing this cake? did you first cover the cake in a single layer of white fondant before adding the other layers of grey top and black strips ONTO the white. I tried this cake for my son and although he loved it, it was not as good as yours, I wondered if it was because I did not do the above, so I want to try it again for my nephew. Please help, I think your bog is great

• Louise says

I only added a thin layer of white fondant on the side of the cake. Then I covered the top with grey. I then made both black and white strips and added those to the white fondant on the side. Finish with trimmings to hide the “seam”.

2. Nazek says

Hi I love ur blog and was wondering if you could give me some tips on how to make a number 4 cake? I have a rectangle shaped cake pan how do I go from there? And what cake recipe do you recommend? Thnx in advance

• Louise says

First you should start drawing/cutting out the shape you want for your no. 4 cake. This helps a lot to give you an idea on how to cut out your cake. I made templates out of cardboard which helped a lot when I started carving out the cake. Try and search on Google for: How to make a number 4 cake

You can use any kind of cake recipe you like.

• Louise says

I glued the stripes on to a thin piece of fondant (same height as cake) and applied that to the side of the cake.

3. Pam says

I’m not sure if anyone is still checking here, but I love this cake and want to make something similar.  What size pan was this made in?

• Anonymous says

I used a round and a square cake pan and cut the shape. I leveled the round cake before I used a round cookie cutter on each layer. I’m sorry but I can’t remember what sizes I used back then.

4. Bevspooner says

I love this, am thinking of attempting it for my sons birthday…..do you have a tutorial on making the racecars?

Hi Louise.. thanks for sharing your creations with us.. and i like to let you know that 3 weeks ago I made theme “Race Track” similar like you… I copied the design on number# 3 cake.. It will be posted on my blog ASAP.. and give the link to your website.. thanks and blessings,