Valentine’s cake with roses

With long anticipation, here is my very special Valentine’s cake with roses. Special, because today is Valentine’s Day but also because my lovely husband and I have been together for 10 years. So I can not find a better way than to celebrate it with a gorgeous, delicious and romantic cake filled with love. I got inspired by the colors I used for the paper cone and with the small gumpaste roses that I showed you earlier it makes a perfect match.

Inside the cake is a nice chocolate cake and strawberry mousse. As I had forgot to buy more eggwhites for the Italian Meringue Buttercream that I just love to use for the crumb coat, I had to use a regular buttercream. Not the best choice, since it is so difficult for me to do a nice crumb coat with the regular buttercream. The IMBC is soo much better, but after a little struggle it did end up with a nice buttercream coat to seal the strawberry mousse well indside the cake.

As promised a photo of how the cake looked on the inside.

I wish you all a very Happy Valentine’s Day.

Comments

1. Pamela says

Happy anniversary and a beatiful cake it is !!!
    I always wish I could use whipped fresh cream under fondant. Your fondant and roses didnt sweat in the fridge ?
    You mentioned about a new fondant (danish), wonder if you know the recipe ?
    Thank you very much for sharing and teaching.

2. Sandy says

This cake is simple and stunning! It’s making me hungry! Do you think you’ll add Butter cream roses to your tutorials? I can decorate but I just can’t get my roses right!

Thank you all for the wishes for me and hubs :-)

For those of you who have asked about the ribbon/bow, I can tell that I am working on a post on how to do it, so stay tuned. btw its real ribbon, not fondant.

Rossana: A tutorial on how to cover cakes with the IMBC is on my agenda.

Kelly C: This mousse is a quick mix. But I do plan to jump in and make it from scratch very soon. The roses was made on cocktailsticks but I removed those when placing htem on the cake.

Andrea Kopp: The color is squires kitchen: wisteria. This mousse need to be refrigerated until serving, since its made with fresh whipped cream. I will make a post about the mousse soon.

Jenn: This crumb coat is acctually on the “thick” end of the scale. I normally go with less bc. But due to the ribbon it is so important that the side of the cake is very straight. If not the ribbon will not look good on the cake.

Anja: I will see if I can post it.

Chicca: I mostly use buttercream under fondant also in the summer. But that is because I use fillings that needs to be refrigerated. If not using BC I would use a chocolate ganache, but that can also melt in the heat.

Dayanara: I will post the mousse eventually.

Ana: I do keep my cakes in the refrigerator. This is a new fondant (danish) that I use and it dont sweat as much as the old brand I always used to use.

4. Ana says

Louise,
    Happy aniversary!!! and congratulation for another beautifullllllll cake!!!! as always your cakes look perfect! one quick question: do you keep the cake in the refrigerator? doesn’t the fondant swet? how do you get that great fondant colours?
    thank you again for inspiriring all of us!
    Ana

5. Dayanara says

I love your work, its so inspiring! Congrats to you and your husband!!! What recipe do you use for the filling? It looks delicious!

6. Maggie says

Louise,
    You are such an inspiration. Your valentine cake is beautiful. Congratulations on your 10th!
    Thanks for sharing, loved that you shared a piece after you had cut it, awesome.
    Maggie