Valentine’s cake with roses

With long anticipation, here is my very special Valentine’s cake with roses. Special, because today is Valentine’s Day but also because my lovely husband and I have been together for 10 years. So I can not find a better way than to celebrate it with a gorgeous, delicious and romantic cake filled with love. I got inspired by the colors I used for the paper cone and with the small gumpaste roses that I showed you earlier it makes a perfect match.

Inside the cake is a nice chocolate cake and strawberry mousse. As I had forgot to buy more eggwhites for the Italian Meringue Buttercream that I just love to use for the crumb coat, I had to use a regular buttercream. Not the best choice, since it is so difficult for me to do a nice crumb coat with the regular buttercream. The IMBC is soo much better, but after a little struggle it did end up with a nice buttercream coat to seal the strawberry mousse well indside the cake.

As promised a photo of how the cake looked on the inside.

I wish you all a very Happy Valentine’s Day.

Comments

Louise..

it’s a gorgeous cake..

Can you give some infos pls?

where do u need to keep the cake which filled with mousse filling and has been decorated by fondant or buttercream? like yours one…

thanks and blessing..

2. Kris says

Hi Louise

Can you share to us your mousse recipe, I am really curious how it taste like with cake…

Wendy: When ever I make a cake like this one, I assemble it 1 day before it will be eaten. It stays in the fridge just until 1 hour before serving. There is a risk that the cake will start sweating. But Im kinda used to make cakes this way, so a little sweating dont scare me.

Depending on how large your cake is. You can minimize the sweating by storing the cake in a card board box and then in the fridge.

Kassandra: I have used a gel paste color from Squires Kitchen called: Wisteria. I just love this color.

Nadia: Pound cakes are too heavy for mousse in my opinion. Alot makes a dam out of stiff BC, I dont use a dam. You can see in this post how I assemble my cakes with mousse: http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/cake-tins

If you are using ganache a good tip is to start with a more liquid ganache and just make a thin (not covering) layer. Then place it in the refrigerator to set and the next layer of ganache is more “thick”.

Hi Louise,
    I love this cake, its perfect. I love the neat slices cut out of it. Can you give some tips on how to fill soft fillings like mousse in a cake? Last time i made a pound cake with mousse filling,and the filling was squishing out duw to weight of the cake? Whats the cause, heavy cake? should i put a dam?in that case its too many flavors, mousse, ganache and bc dam?
    I then covered it with ganache but it kept squishing out and getting mixed with ganache?any tips?

5. Wendy says

I have a question about Fondant cakes. I will love to make a cake like this one, how long will a cake with the Italian butter cream and mousse stay out of the fridge? can i make the cake a day before the party and keep it out of the fridge all night? if i make my own fondant will it sweet a lot inside the fridge? and what will happen if the cake sweets in the fridge and how can i fix it?
    thanks!! i love your cake is the best i have seen, i have been searching the web a lot!! please help me!!!

Sandy: Ohh im not the bc rose expert ;-) I think that you can find lots of great video’s on that subject on youtube.

Pamela: You cant use cream under the fondant. It needs to have a bc coat first before the fondant. Its right that this fondant that I use sweat very little from being in the fridge. I dont have the recipe for it sorry!

Kristen: Its BC

Louise,

this is so lovely and perfectly romantic to celebrate 10years with your hubby.

I am a big fan of your work and it also inspired me to make my cakes. I will be looking forward for more of your wonderful creations and tutorials.

More power