Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Filling

chocolate cake with raspberry filling

This chocolate chip cake was the very first cake recipe that I tried out for my first decorated cake. Now seven years later it is still one of my most used recipes. I got the recipe from a danish online cake community but I have made some changes over time. I like to use it for layered cakes, cake bites, 3D cakes or just plain with a spread of thin royal icing and sprinkles on top.

I always like to use a filling together with this chocolate cake. Chocolate ganache or fruit mousse. I used to use a store bought mousse mixture but nothing beats a good home made fruit mousse. So when I saw a tv program with a danish pastry chef making raspberry mousse I thought I would give it a try.

I hope that you will enjoy the chocolate chip cake with raspberry filling just as much as I do.

Chocolate chip cake
Raspberry mousse

Comments

1. Crystal_tan1993 says

Hmm, may i ask if i bake th chocolate cake and prepare the mousse on a wednesday night, and i store both separtely. And i decorated and do the layering on thursday morning. am i able to keep the cake till sunday afternoon?

• Anonymous says

Firstly you need to do the filling/layering the same day you make the mousse because the mousse will set “firm”. Also I would not recommend to make it 4 days ahead. I fill my cakes Friday if they will be eaten sat/sun. Depending on how you will decorate the cake, then you can freeze the cake if you are in short time. To do so, level the cake and assemble it with the mousse like shown here: http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/cake-tins and place it straight after in the freezer still in the cake pan. Take it out Friday morning and let it thaw in the refrigerator until Saturday where you decorate the cake. If that’s possible of course.

• Crystal_tan1993 says

Hmm, what if I do the layering and decorating together on thursday morning. am i able to keep the cake till sat?

I made this cake today and it is the best recipe I’ve ever tried! The cake turned out perfect. I’m saving this! Thanks for sharing Louise :-)

3. Nkarastamati says

Beautiful!!! How many grams is each gelatine sheet because here in Greece different brands have different weight and we count everything in grams.

4. Claire says

Hi Louise

I have recently discovered your blog and I am addicted. After being made redundany this year I have decided to try and make some money out of my hobby …baking and cake decorating. I would like to give this cake a go for a baby shower I am doing for the weekend. I will be making it in a 10″ square cake pan. Do you know how I should adjust the cooking times/temp for it?

• Anonymous says

Well I have been baking this in three different ovens now and I still haven’t a final cooking time for it. I always set the timer for 1 hour and then go from there. I often bake a lower temp and then a little longer. Cakes gets best this way. I hope you like it :-)