How to make chocolate frosting

Many of you asked me about a nice chocolate frosting that goes perfect with banana cupcakes. I like the chocolate fudge frosting from the 125 best Cupcake recipes but that one can be a little to strong because of the cocoa powder especially if you are using a really nice dark cocoa.

Of course you can cut down the amount of cocoa or simply just use a more lighter cocoa powder for that recipe or you can try out my chocolate frosting?

(makes 14 oz. (400 gram) frosting)

Chocolate Frosting Recipe

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Serving Size: 388g

Calories per serving: 1874kcal

Fat per serving: 119g

Chocolate Frosting Recipe

What I like with my recipe is that it is not strong in taste and not too buttery either, but it has just the right amount of sweetness with a twist of vanilla.

• 5 oz. (150 gram) unsalted soft butter
  • 7 oz. (200 gram) confectioners sugar
  • 1 oz. (30 gram) cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp milk lukewarm (start out with only 1 tbsp and see/taste if it need the last tbsp of milk)
  • 1 tsp vanilla

1. Cream butter and sift in the confectioners sugar and cocoa powder.
  2. Add the milk and vanilla. Mix untill well incorporated.

TIP: If the frosting look a bit curdled try add a bit more confectioners sugar

Please visit my recipe section if you want recipes for other frostings and icings.

1. Daniela says

This frosting is to die for!
    Luana, I am also using Silver Spoon icing, but what I found works best is to just put about 2 teaspoons of milk, then see if you need more (you probably won’t.) Also, I did not let the butter soften too much before starting to mix it. I actually put everything in the bowl all together and mixed it. I also used cold milk (I do not have any patience to wait :))
    Hope you find this useful!

2. Luana says

Hi Louise,

The brand is called Silver Spoon. It is normal icing for cakes and buns….

Really dont see what I am doing wrong :( I will give another try 😀

Luana: If it says “fondant icing” then it is not what you should use in your frostings. Fondant icing is meant to be mixed with water to make it into a pourable icing. You should be using Confectioners sugar/powdered icing sugar for frostings. What brand is it? Squires Kitchen? I know they have some fondant icing that they say can be mixed with butter/liquid this should be a very soft smooth frosting.

4. Luana says

Hi Louise,
    Thank you for taking the time and replying….

I am in Bordeaux, France, warm weather but not boiling hot….

I have tried to the chocolate Frosting(recipe above), and also a nice fluffy Vanilla Buttercream. I always follow the recipe by heart. I thought maybe it was the icing sugar(so my lovely husband brought with him from england 4kilos! of fondant icing! ). It is getting better but still soft….Does it make a difference that I am using a hand held mixer? Or should I just add less liquid?

Thank you sooo much for your help!!!

Luana: What types of frosting do you make? Be careful not to add to much liquid. It could also be because if the weather is very warm.

6. Luana says

I am new to the Blog(and a HUGE fan already). Just a quick Q. I am trying to do any type of frosting, however for some reason mine always end up looking like soup! I really dont see what I am doing wrong… anyone please…

7. Ghie T says

I am so happy coz the last minute i was looking for a chocolate frosting coz I was making a cake for my son’s 7th month b-day (coz i celebrate it everyone month since he was born and i planned the monthly until he turn 1) so I remembered about this site and i quickly seached for it then I was so happy and surprised how easy it was and my family love it! its good quick and easy!