Learn how to make a delicious dark chocolate mud cake that can last up to 6 months if stored in a freezer.
It is a great combination with vanilla ice cream.
- (7 oz) dark chocolate, chopped coarsely
- (9 oz) butter, diced
- 330 ml milk (1 3/8 cup) (I like to use whole fat milk)
- 440 g (2 1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- (1 1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- (3/4 cup) self-raising flour
- (3/4 cup) dark cocoa powder
- 9“ 23cm (3“ high) round cake pan.
- Preheat oven to 160 C (320 F) Do not use the fan.
- In a deep sauce pan, add sugar and milk. Stir over low heat until the sugar is all melted.
- Turn off the heat. Next add the butter and chocolate. When the butter and chocolate is all melted. Set aside to cool completely.
- Sift in the dry ingredients along with the beaten eggs. Whisk until smooth and without any lumps.
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan and place it on the lowest rack of the oven. Bake the mud cake for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remember to test with a wooden skewer. If the cake is not fully baked. Bake for 10-15 minutes at a time until the wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool off completely in the cake pan. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and a plastic bag until use. I like to store it in the freezer, before I am going to use it.
- Take the mud cake out of the freezer the night before you are going to use it and let it thaw with the plastic wrap on on your kitchen table over night before cutting off the top/crust and levelling it.
The cake can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months
9″ 23cm (3″ high) round cake pan. Greased and prepared with baking paper. Remember to make a collar.
Original recipe from the Women’s Weekly Recipe with a few adjustments made by me.