I often get asked how to make a Vegan (specifically, dairy free) frosting for cupcakes or cakes. This recipe is very simple and easy to use. This recipe does not produce a crusting icing, but rather and nice smooth light frosting. Enjoy!
This recipe is for vegan vanilla frosting that could be used to go on top of cupcakes or cakes
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- Using an electric mixer or a stand mixer add the vegan margarine and vegetable shortening and mix until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and mix in completely.
- Add icing sugar one cup at a time, continue mixing as you add each cup of icing sugar. Continue to mix all ingredients until light and fluffy.
Please note: as there is no dairy products in the frosting, the icing will not crust.