My favourite food colors

Close up of rolled fondant samples colored with Louise's favourite food colors

As you may know I have a soft spot for soft pastel colors. So I have decided to show you some of my favourite food colors that I have in my tool box. Although I have a lot of different colors I always end up using colors from the same box.

I’m not sure why, but I have really difficulties working with strong powerful colors. So when I have to use more strong colors (often for boy themes) I still keep the colors soft.

There are a lot of different food color brands on the market, maybe more than the ones that I know of. So far I have three favourite brands: AmeriColor, Sugar Flair and Squires Kitchen. I have used the ones I love the most for color samples. I have also made some color samples of the green colors that I use for gumpaste leaves and royal icing piped wines. It is often two green colors mixed into a new color.

Lets start, from left to right.
1. Pink: My most used pink color are Pink/Sugar Flair. Here shown in three color tones, from light to dark.

2. Yellow: Cream/Sugar Flair, Melon/Sugar Flair, Cream & Melon mixed together, Orange/AmeriColor.

3. Green: Party Green/Sugar Flair, Mint Green/Sugar Flair, Avocado/AmeriColor, Spruce Green/Sugar Flair.

4. Green mixed: Party Green and a small dot of Spruce Green, Spruce Green and a dot of Party Green, Avocado and a dot of Party Green (Leaf green from AmeriColor could be used instead).

5. Blue: Ice Blue/Sugar Flair. Shown in two tones, Hydrangea/Squires Kitchen, Wisteria/Squires Kitchen.

6. Purple: /AmeriColor. Shown in two tones.

7. Ivory and Brown: Caramel/ivory/Sugar Flair, Dark Brown/Sugar Flair.

Rolled fondant samples colored with Louise's favourite food colors categorized by color scheme

I hope that you can find inspiration to maybe try out some new colors?

Comments

Hello. We need to make our homemade fondant a pale pink/blush color for an upcoming wedding cake. The problem we seem to have is that our homemade fondant always comes out a very pale ivory/off white due to marshmallows not being totally white and the addition of real vanilla. We hate imitation vanilla and do not want to use it. When we add the tiniest bit of pink coloring to this ivory/off white fondant it turns a very pale peach. We absolutely need it pink NOT peach. Is there any way to avoid this? Like possibly adding some other color too? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Donna

2. Stephanie says

I like Americolor, but getting it out of the bottle is difficult.. anyone have a suggestion? (I do not want to dilute it in the bottle)

3. ninu says

ok this http://www.mysweetandsaucy.com/page/15/ the fuschia rose on this page is what im hoping to achieve… could you please please pleaseeeee tell me how i could attain this colour? would americolour fuschia and electric pink do the trick? or wilton pink kneaded with a lil sugarflair fuschia petal dust?

• Louise says

I am pretty sure that the rose have been dusted with petal dusts also. So if you use the fuschia from americolor and brush it with petal dust. Remember that the fuschia petal dust from SF is non edible. So you need to remove the decoration from the cake.

4. NK says

I’m having difficulty getting a hot pink/ fuschia color for my gumpaste.  I have tried all the pinks by Americolor, including the “electric pink”, and “claret” by Sugar flair,and none has given me my color.

I’ve heard Sugar flair makes a powered food color called “Fuschia”.  Would this work?  How is powered food color to work with, compared to gels?
    Another problem I’m having with pinks is the fading of color within days!  My fondant and gumpaste decorations I make(using Pink Americolor) fades to a pale, pale pink. I understand the chemistry behind the pinks and purples fading due to the reds used, but are there any brands of colors in the market where this wouldn’t exist? thanks

• Anonymous says

Have you tried the Pink from Sugar Flair? I think that this really makes a great hot pink. I have not tried SF Fuschia powder color but I have used with great results a mix of both powdered and gels when coloring my fondant or gum paste. Crystal Colors are great to use for the powder part when mixing together with gels. http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=995&s=&name=CRYSTAL%20COLORS
      I have not seen colors that won’t fade… it would be great if there were.

5. Lucy says

I saw this page and book marked it a while back but just wanted to say thank you so much, Louise. This is my go-to page for colours!
    I am just starting out my little colour collection haha, but its so difficult to choose a colour out of all the different ones available. Many sites don’t actually show you what they look like in fondant!

One question though, which purple did you use? I finally found a UK site that stocks Americolor and they have Electric Purple (out of stock), Violet and Regal Purple. I love the tone of the one you’ve used!

6. Fairladyofohio says

could you help me out,can’t get a “true red ” royal icing, What if any can I add to my plain red to get a true red ? like a Christmas or Valentine Red ? thank you
    Jeannie

• Anonymous says

Try and use the Poinsetta red powder from Crystal Colors together with the super red from Americolor. I used this combination with some rolled fondant and it gave a really pretty red. You can read more about the Crystal Colors here: http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/crystal-colors-review Remember that with royal icing let it rest a day or two. This will help the color to mature and getting more “dark”

7. Anonymous says

Alessia, I would recommend you to buy Sugar Flair. Sugar flair also have 3 extra strength colors: black, red and green. Squires Kitchen: Wisteria color is a “must have” because it is such a pretty blue color The Valentine cake that I made last year is Wisteria http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/valentines-cake-with-roses. I have written in the post both color and brand. Even though I have all the colors from SF I often only use those listed in the post.

8. Priscilla says

I absolutely loooove the colours you use!! I still have a lot to learn when it comes to mixing colours and pairing them up…