My favourite food colors

Close up of rolled fondant samples colored with Louise's favourite food colors

As you may know I have a soft spot for soft pastel colors. So I have decided to show you some of my favourite food colors that I have in my tool box. Although I have a lot of different colors I always end up using colors from the same box.

I’m not sure why, but I have really difficulties working with strong powerful colors. So when I have to use more strong colors (often for boy themes) I still keep the colors soft.

There are a lot of different food color brands on the market, maybe more than the ones that I know of. So far I have three favourite brands: AmeriColor, Sugar Flair and Squires Kitchen. I have used the ones I love the most for color samples. I have also made some color samples of the green colors that I use for gumpaste leaves and royal icing piped wines. It is often two green colors mixed into a new color.

Lets start, from left to right.
1. Pink: My most used pink color are Pink/Sugar Flair. Here shown in three color tones, from light to dark.

2. Yellow: Cream/Sugar Flair, Melon/Sugar Flair, Cream & Melon mixed together, Orange/AmeriColor.

3. Green: Party Green/Sugar Flair, Mint Green/Sugar Flair, Avocado/AmeriColor, Spruce Green/Sugar Flair.

4. Green mixed: Party Green and a small dot of Spruce Green, Spruce Green and a dot of Party Green, Avocado and a dot of Party Green (Leaf green from AmeriColor could be used instead).

5. Blue: Ice Blue/Sugar Flair. Shown in two tones, Hydrangea/Squires Kitchen, Wisteria/Squires Kitchen.

6. Purple: /AmeriColor. Shown in two tones.

7. Ivory and Brown: Caramel/ivory/Sugar Flair, Dark Brown/Sugar Flair.

Rolled fondant samples colored with Louise's favourite food colors categorized by color scheme

I hope that you can find inspiration to maybe try out some new colors?

Comments

Lovely colours! I had problems trying to get a good purple for my wedding cupcakes because I specifically didn’t want lavender but something brighter. In the end went for one called ‘Grape’ by Sugarflair. Nice to see what others are using though!

• Anonymous says

Ali: I was planning to show the Grape Violet from SF. But I could not find it. I did find after my post was out…… I need to clean up my toolbox.

• Anonymous says

2. Gabrielle says

Hi,

I’m a Sugarflair and Americolor girl too. The only thing I’d add is the Americolor Electric Pink makes the prettiest pale pastel pink. I love Sugarflair Primrose and Navy. For those that make sugarflowers Sugarflair Gooseberry is a must have for buds and some stamens/flower centres. And Americolor Regal Purple is a fave do to it’s fade rsistant properties for a true violet colour as the other non-fades are an aubergine colour. Those Squires colours look interesting, so I’ll check them out. Thanks Louise.

• Anonymous says

Gabrielle: I dont think that I have tried Gooseberry yet, I do have it. Navy is great too. Its very close to SK Wisteria. I find SF colors more strong than SK.

• Anonymous says

3. Robynn says

Awww! I thought they were adorable! Such a nice layout. I was impressed! I was thinking about getting them when taxes came in in Feb.