My favourite food colors

Close up of rolled fondant samples colored with Louise's favourite food colors

As you may know I have a soft spot for soft pastel colors. So I have decided to show you some of my favourite food colors that I have in my tool box. Although I have a lot of different colors I always end up using colors from the same box.

I’m not sure why, but I have really difficulties working with strong powerful colors. So when I have to use more strong colors (often for boy themes) I still keep the colors soft.

There are a lot of different food color brands on the market, maybe more than the ones that I know of. So far I have three favourite brands: AmeriColor, Sugar Flair and Squires Kitchen. I have used the ones I love the most for color samples. I have also made some color samples of the green colors that I use for gumpaste leaves and royal icing piped wines. It is often two green colors mixed into a new color.

Lets start, from left to right.
1. Pink: My most used pink color are Pink/Sugar Flair. Here shown in three color tones, from light to dark.

2. Yellow: Cream/Sugar Flair, Melon/Sugar Flair, Cream & Melon mixed together, Orange/AmeriColor.

3. Green: Party Green/Sugar Flair, Mint Green/Sugar Flair, Avocado/AmeriColor, Spruce Green/Sugar Flair.

4. Green mixed: Party Green and a small dot of Spruce Green, Spruce Green and a dot of Party Green, Avocado and a dot of Party Green (Leaf green from AmeriColor could be used instead).

5. Blue: Ice Blue/Sugar Flair. Shown in two tones, Hydrangea/Squires Kitchen, Wisteria/Squires Kitchen.

6. Purple: /AmeriColor. Shown in two tones.

7. Ivory and Brown: Caramel/ivory/Sugar Flair, Dark Brown/Sugar Flair.

Rolled fondant samples colored with Louise's favourite food colors categorized by color scheme

I hope that you can find inspiration to maybe try out some new colors?

Comments

1. Becky says

Holy Cow, how long did it take you to make all these fondant colors? If I need to use dark colors on a large area, I find it’s much easier to airbrush it. Have you tried the airbrush yet??? I think if you did, you would have a brand new addiction :)

• Anonymous says

Backy: Haha… I thought that it was done in no time, But it took me almost a whole day to make all those colors, because I had to wash hands in between. I do have an airbrush but never sat down and tried it. I’m pretty sure that I would LOVE it when I finally try it. I must set it up in the garage because from what I heard its messy to use.

• Becky says

You’re right, Louise! The airbrush is SO easy and SO MUCH FUN, but you don’t realize how fine the paint is when it comes out of the airbrusher. My cabinets are white, and after I airbrushed a cake navy blue, I wiped down the kitchen. The cabinets still looked white, but when I ran a wet cloth over them, they were covered in blue that I couldn’t even see! Unless you can block out an airbrush area in your kitchen, it’s wise to do this outdoors or in a garage :)
        I figured it took you a long time to make all those colors of fondant…thank you for your hard work!!!!

2. cakesandbakes says

This is a wonderful way of showing off your favourite colours. I use pretty much all Sugarflair mainly because it’s the most accessible for me here in the UK. I’m intrigued by Americolor as I’ve never tried it but reluctant to pay over the odds to try it. I find Sugarflair paste colours cover pretty much all my needs. I’m currently trying to complete a lengthy blog post about all the baking equipment, tools & favourites for decorating that I have in my kitchen. It’s taking me forever, I don’t think even I realised how long it would take & just how much I have.

• Anonymous says

Cakesandbakes: I too, prefer SF above SK. But I just so love the Wisteria color from SK. I must say though that when it comes to black and red I love the Americolor Super red & black. I do have the extra strength from SF but I do find AC just a swirl better. Yes, I can imagine that the list is long…:-)

3. Nicole says

that is fantastically informative and so PRETTY! I want to decorate my kids’ rooms with these colors. thank you!