My gum paste helpers

I have a few favourite tools that I always have ready whenever I make gum paste decorations. I like to call them my gum paste helpers:

A: The “egg foam trays”, are always good to have. They are great when making Hydrangea’s and 5 petal flowers.

B: My cornstarch container. I use this for gum paste decorations such as pearls and other types of decorations that is round in the shape. This way can I prevent a “flat” backside on the decorations.

C: For roses, lillies and other types of flowers these Celformers (from Celcakes) are good to have. I also use them when making heads for my figurines. You can even make them yourself with a glass and foil. Cheap and easy!

D: Small plastic palette trays for small cut out flowers.

There are one gum paste helper that I dont have but would soo love to have. One of those “trees” with lots of dowels, where you can hang your wired flowers and dry your bow loops on. I have thought of maybe make it myself with a little help from my DH. I just need to work at little more on how I (he) should make one ;-)

Here are some simple DIY tips on how to make some “gum paste helpers” yourself:

1: Ziplock bags in different sizes and filled with dried beans or rice. Perfect to mold in shape. These are especially great if you need to dry larger items, like long leafs ect. Remember to give the bag a light dusting of cornstarch to prevent the gum paste from sticking to the ziplock bag.

2: Appel foam trays or other types of fruit trays from your local grocery (well cleaned of course) are also good to use when drying wired flower petals.

3: A long wooden dowel or broomstick placed between a pair of chairs, are a good place to hang your wired flowers or bow loops to dry in perfect shape.

You are welcome to share if you have a good tip on what you use.

Comments

1. Charlotte Shaw says

Thank you, Louise, for your wonderful site! I just love opening it up to see what you have for us next!! I keep 3-4 small plastic/glass cups like for punch(_/) in my gumpaste/fondant tools (GP/F) for small bits of GP/F so that it doesn’t dry out while I am working with another color. Just turn the cup upside down over the bits and when you need that color, there is is, no messing with plastic bags!!

2. rute lopes says

hi,im portuguese and i love your site.im starting in cake decoration anh im loving! in portugal there are some cake desing but there not very good.tank you.

Hi, Thank you so much for your beautiful site. I love all your work, colors and sweetness. As flower wire holders, I use the microwave’ steel rack, the one used for the grill: it has three legs and it is good enough for hanging small flowers… As an alternative to ziplock bag, you can use some little cup of coffee, filled with cornstarch or fine sugar, and you have perfect Celformers alternatives for single flowers!

4. Cathy Keeping says

I use a cupboard dish rack ( the kind that makes more room in cupboard for storing dishes) to dry my wire flowers works great and some can fold down for storing. living in a small apt. I need all the dual use things or compact things I can find. Love thee new ideas that I gog from thisd site.Thanks Cathy

hi, I am really new to cake decorating, and i was wondering, about the cornstarch box: do you let the fondant pearls dry in the cornstarch? does the cornstarch stick to them? will it change their color? will it come off if brushed off? thank you. love your site

6. Cindy says

Soooo happy to see you back and writing about your creations again. Honestly? No one can do it like you can – you have such a wonderful voice, and easy-to-follow pictorials!! I have a question when you get a chance, Louise. In the past you have referred to standard-sized cupcake wrappers that are just slightly (1/2″) higher than the norm, as “wonder” liners. I have looked high and low to no avail. Louise, where can I find these in the U.S. and what are they named? Thank you so much for all that you do!

7. joanne says

Hey that tree you were talking about, you can use a pasta dryer. It is found at most pasta or cooking stores, as well as some Italian bakeries. Hope that helps!

Martine: Regarding the ebook. I can confirm that we have sent an email the 28 of February and again the 5 of March both with the ebook pdf-file attachment. I also wrote an email last evening, asking you to please confirm that email.

I hope that you see this and contact me again. Thank you.