Cake tins

img_more-cake-tins

These are all brand new cake tins that I received yesterday. I love cake tins, only they do take a lot of the space in my kitchen cupboards, but thats how it is when you are a cake maniac, right? The cake tins are all 3″ high wich I love because I also use them to assemble my cakes, this way the filling is not “running” away :-)

In fact why not show you how I do it?
I use this technique only with mousse fillings because it is still soft enough afterwards when you are going to prepaire the cake for buttercream or chocolate ganache. So for those of you who make cakes with mousse fillings I hope that you can use it :-)

Step 1:
I use either a large plastic bag (food safe) or plastic wrap as a linning in the cake tin. Then I place the first cake layer in the tin and put the filling in a disposable piping bag.

img_mousse-filling

Step 2:
Then I pipe the filling onto the cake layer. You can smooth the filling with a small spatular before you add the next cake layer.

img_mousse-filling-1

Step 3:
Repeat until you are done with the final cake layer. Wrap the excess plastic on top and chill the cake until it is firm. Here I like to place a cake board and something heavy on top to get the filling levelled. This helps alot if you are having problems with bulging cakes.

img_mousse-filling-2

Step 4:
When the cake is all firm. Turn it onto a plate or cake board and carefully peel off the plastic. As you can see some of the filling is now squeezed out, wich is fine.

img_mousse-filling-3

Step 5:
Now scrape off any excess filling of the cake and it is now ready for buttercream or chocolate ganache.

img_mousse-filling-4

So there you have it :-) I would really like to know how commen it is around the world to use mousse fillings in cakes. Here it is mostly used, since we are not that common with buttercream cakes. So please tell.

Happy caking

Comments

1. Marcella Lee says

Hi Louise,

Do you tort your cake layers? How tall are your layers after you have filled and everything.I will try this next time sometimes my cakes come out level and others no so. If you are torting your cake layers this means there are 4 layers in this one tin (or not???) Thanks for all the tips.

Hi Louise
    LOVE LOVE LOVE your site and Love this post – I just made a layered cake that looked so bad – and you just gave all the answers to how to have made it look wonderful. Loved the photos – I am very visual so they were great!
    May I ask nicely if I may use them to share with others – making sure I link back and give FULL credit to you and your wonderful cake tutorial?
    Such good ideas and information :-)

teddy: The sweating starts because the cake is too cold and a condensation starts because its warmer outside. Normally you can let the cake set in the refrigerator for 5-7 mins and then cover your cake with fondant without the cake starts to sweat. But if you keep your cake in for longer and then take it out it will sweat. It will dry up eventually, so dont touch the shiny fondant.

Most do not recomend cakes to be stored in the refrigerator but store it in a A/C room. Here I always store my cakes in the refrigerator depending on what type of filing im using. I am used to a little sweating so I dont mind. I would of course prefere having a A/C room.

4. teddy says

hi louise,
    im so glad i found your website,
    i have one question..i bake a cake before and covered it with choc ganache and then i stored it in refrigerator..after that, i took it out and covered it with my rolled fondant..
    i was panicked because like 5minutes after that my fondant start to sweat, i figured out it was because of the ganache start to melt..
    can you help me why this happen as many webs that i read suggest we put our cake in the refrigerator first to let it cold first..
    how can i prevent this?
    thanks so much for your answer…

5. Katrine says

Hej Louise.
    hvor køber du dine hjerte-forme?
    Skriver på dansk da jeg ikke er fandens god til at skrive på engelsk – og kan se at du er fra Danmark :)

cathj. well since I only use mousse fillings, I use buttercream under my fondant and the whole lot goes right into the refrigerator. I often assemble the cake 1 day before it will be eaten. If you like you can store your fondant cake in a cardboard box if theres space for it in the refrigerator. It will minimize the sweating of the fondant a bit. We are so used to a little sweating of the fondant so it dont scare me at all. :-)