Cupcake decorating part 1

Cupcakes decorated with gum paste flowers

Over the last few days I have been preparing at little cupcake decorating guide to show you a little more on how I make my cupcakes. What cupcake tools I like to use, favourite cupcake recipes, how I build up a buttercream dome, so that I can decorate my cupcakes with rolled fondant and how I pipe my buttercream swirls.

So let us begin with my favourite cupcake tools.

Cupcake pans:

I mostly use a regular standard sized cupcake (muffin) pan and a mini cupcake (muffin) pan to bake my cupcakes in. When I bake cupcakes I only have 1 pan in the oven at a time, except with the mini pans where I can can bake 24 in one go.

Cupcake pans 1

Cupcake paper cases:

One thing that I dont like when I bake cupcakes is the paper cases that look greasy and translucent after baking. A lot of paper cases does that. So I was happy when I found a brand that makes greaseproof paper cases and that even keeps the color after baking. I think that it is the best cupcake paper case ever! They are also a little higher than the paper cases you usually buy (50mm base x 35mm wall (2″ x 1 3/8″). They come in pretty rainbow colors, polka dots and other patterns.

Cupcake paper cases

Note: The mini cupcake paper cases are just some regular ones, and not the greaseproof ones.

You can get the “wonder” paper cases here:
AU
US
US
UK

Of course if you cant get your hands on the paper cases you can always wrap your cupcakes in stylish cupcake wraps to cover up any “blemishes”.

Pastry tips & more:

To make those large swirls on my cupcakes I use large pastry tips. Many use the Wilton 1M tip, but I like those really large tips that is best used with a disposal piping bag. I got my pastry tips from a professional bakery supply store here in Denmark. But after browsing online for such large pastry tips, Ateco should be the brand to look for if you want really large pastry tips.

Cupcake tools

Now I have not tried the large pastry tips from Ateco yet, but I would really love to try them out one day. You should try and look for these large pastry tips below next time you are out shopping for cake supplies:

Open star:

# 868
# 869

Round:
# 807
# 808
# 809

Another little tool that I like to use is my small offset spatular, that I use when I am making buttercream domes for rolled fondant covered cupcakes. But more about that in another post :-)

If you like to read the other parts about my cupcake decorating, you can find them here:

Cupcake decorating part 2
Cupcake decorating part 3
Cupcake decorating part 4

Happy Caking

Comments

1. Anna says

Very, very much a beginner at this. Was wondering if there’s a certain way used to keep the paper from sticking to the cakes? I have lightly coated the paper with nonstick spray before once, which mostly worked, but if there’s a better way, I would like to know. :)

• Louise says

I always use the Italian/swiss meringue buttercream. Makes a perfect swirl and is silky smooth on your tongue.

2. Naomi Nicoll says

Hi Louise, I am a beginner cupcake baker and have found your blog so useful. There are so many great things to go away and try but i first want to make sure i have the right equipment. I have clicked on the UK link for the cupcake liners, however, that store is closing down and no longer have the product for sale. Do you know of any other UK websites that sell the grease proof liners? I have looked at many sites but am not sure exactly which ones you use. Many thanks.

3. Linda Sanderson says

Hi Louise!

Thanks a million for this wonderful site! I have enjoyed many hours reading your posts.

I am living in Norway at the moment, and I was wondering if you know of any Scandinavian site that sells these greaseproof cupcake liners? Preferably Norwegian (to avoid paying customs duty) but also Danish or Swedish?

Thank you!

Hi Louise, I appreciate your tip on cupcake liners. Is there a difference between grease proof and glassine? I bought some grease proof liners but they didn’t hold there color. They were chocolate cupcakes and being so dark, I’m sure that made a difference. I’ve also read that you can double up on the liners.

5. Nanny Devas says

Everything in this blog looks very good and professional.
    I don’t have really a comment, it’s more a question. Can i use any kind of paper to bake my cup cakes?

6. Renee says

Hi Loiuse,
    I am trying to find the tall white liners on the Australian link you have provided (Goodluck Decorations), although the list on the website is quite extensive. Do you happen to know which ones the 50mm base x 35mm wall would be?

Thanks for your help with this :)

Hi

These ‘wonder’ cases – I really want to buy some as for my wedding i would like large cupcakes which keep the pink and cream colour of the paper case. however, slightly larger ones do not fit the standard patty tins and fold in on one edge.What would you suggest to prevent this? use a muffin pan or is that too big? Also, how tall are the wonder cases? Love your site – so helpful! Emily