How to cover cupcakes with poured fondant

I have recived a lot of questions regarding the use of poured fondant icing on cupcakes. So in this tutorial I will try to show you how to cover cupcakes with poured fondant.

This is what I use:
White fondant
Abricot jam
Hot boiled water
Cupcakes (firm cupcakes works best)
Pastry brush
Tea spoon
Heatproff bowls
Optional: Flavourings and food colors.

Step 1:
Brush the cupcakes with a thin coat of hot abricot jam. Let it dry.

Step 2:
Place the fondant in a heatproff bowl and heat it gently in the microway oven for approx 1 min. It needs to be warm but dont let it boil. Give it a stir to get it smooth. It is important that you get the right consistency. If it gets too thick you will have difficulty to dip the cupcake properly and if it is too thin it will look transparent on the cupcake. Give it a few tries and you will find the right consistency. You can use boiled water, a tsp at a time, to thin it down. If it gets too cold gently reheat it in the microway oven a few sec.

Step 3:
Now take the cupcake and dip it upside down in the hot fondant. Carefully shake the excess fondant off. I like to dip my cupcakes so the fondant sticks to the paper cases.

Step 4:
Set the cupcakes aside and let them dry. If you like you can give them a second coat when the first one is dry.

Step 5:
Attach your choosen decoration on the cupcakes with dots of royal icing.

Note: Store the cupcakes in cake boxes. NOT in the refrigerator because that will dissolve the poured fondant. Also air thight containers can make the fondant melting.

Please visit my tutorial section if you want to learn other cupcake decoration techniques.

You can also see my tutorial where you learn how to make poured fondant icing.

Comments

1. Sarah says

Are you microwaving home made fondant or store bought? I have store bought and I everytime I heat it in the microwave it just clumps together and then boils? Maybe it is too high temp? Do you reduce the microwave power?

• Louise says

I have only used one type of store bought fondant. It’s a UK brand called Regalice. It is important that you only melt on the lowest power and only for a few secs at a time. Take out and stir gently and then heat if needed.

2. shelly says

too fascinated by ur site…….u made baking easy for me.thanks a ton
    {instead of crisco what can i use}

3. Radiance says

I was thinking of trying this with chocolate cupcakes and pale pink frosting. Do you think that would work, or would the chocolate cake show through the fondant? Thanks for the info…you’re cakes are beautiful!

4. Maggie says

Beautiful work! Can this also be done with home made marshmallow fondant? Would I make it like normal then melt it down? Or does it have to be pre made fondat?
    Thank you!

• Louise says

The results with melting home made mmf is not the best I’m afraid. Also not all pre made brands works either so if you are interested in covering cupcakes with out to much fuss you should try and make this petit four icing. Works really good: http://www.marthastewart.com/335566/petits-fours-icing
      The fondant that I use in the tutorial is not to be compared with rolled fondant but is more liquid. I have only tried to melt 1 pre made fondant and that was a UK brand.

• Anonymous says

Do you mean the flowers on the cupcakes or the green icing?

Fra: Disqus [mailto:]
      Sendt: 26. oktober 2011 09:49
      Til: louise@cakejournal.com
      Emne: [cakejournal] Re: How to cover cupcakes with poured fondant

NOTE: This comment is waiting for your approval. It is not yet published on your site. ======

5. Anonymous says

You can use orange jam. The reason why you should use abricot is because of the color and the neutral taste. You won’t really taste it when the cupcakes is covered with PF.

• Anonymous says

Just add the color after the fondant is melted. Just be careful as warm fondant takes more color fast. So use only a tiny amount of color at a time.