How to decorate cookies with rolled fondant

Fondant cookies

Decorating with rolled fondant is the easiest way to get a beautiful cookie in no time. You use the same cookie cutter to cut out the rolled fondant and apply it to the cookie with a little bit of corn syrup.

I like to use small embossing sticks or veining tools to make pretty details in the rolled fondant. Royal icing and lustre dust is also great to use. There are no limits when it comes to decorating cookies. Just be creative!

Follow this tutorial on how to decorate cookies with rolled fondant.

This is what I use:

Sugar cookies in the shape of butterflies or dragonflies
Cookie cutters in the same shape
Non-stick board
Rolling pin
Knife
Corn syrup & brush
Soft brush for the lustre dust
Dresden & veining tool (I recomend the one from Jem)
Lustre dust (I have used: Aqua shimmer & Iced Pink from Edable Art)
Rolled fondant in your chosen colors + small amount of white rolled fondant
Paper towel

Dragonfly:

Step 1:

Roll out your rolled fondant thinly and cut out the wings with the cookie cutter.
We are only going to use the wing part. So you dont have to cut out the whole shape like I did. Just the wings.

Step 2:

Cut the wings in shape with a knife like shown on wing A.

Step 3:

Brush a thin coat of corn syrup on the wing part of the sugar cookie and gently place the wing pieces on top.

Step 4:

With your finger smooth out the edge of the wings.

Step 5:

Take your veining tool and mark the wings with fine lines.

Step 6:

Brush lustre dust on the wings with a soft brush. Use a piece of paper towel to protect your non-stick board!

Step 7:

Take a small piece of white rolled fondant and make the body and the head. Glue it on with a little corn syrup. Use the veining tool to make small marks down the body.

Butterfly:

Step 1:

Take your chosen color for the large wing and roll out the rolled fondant thinly. Cut out the wings with the cookie cutter and cut wing A with a knife like shown on the photo.

Step 2 & 3:
Repeat step 3 & 4 from the dragonfly cookie.

Step 4:

Take your veining tool and make 3 lines on both large wings.

Step 5:

Roll out the second color of rolled fondant and cut out another pair of wings with the cookie cutter. Cut the small wings in the shape as shown on step 1/wing B. Brush a little corn syrup on the small wing parts.

Step 6:

Gently place the small wing pieces on the sugar cookie. With your finger smooth out the edges all around the small wings. Again use the veining tool to make 3 lines on the wings.

Step 7:

Step 8:
Repeat step 7 from the dragonfly.

Tip: Make the butterfly in all white rolled fondant, with pearl lustre dust. For the perfect wedding favor.

Please visit my tutorial section if you want to learn other cookie decoration techniques.

Comments

1. Bobby says

Hi? i love this tutorial. Thanks a lot! Such a beautiful thing and quite easy. I’ve got one question. You probably will not believe it, but in small city in Russia ( like the one i live in) it’s absolutely impossible to find a corn syrup. What it can be substituted with? Maybe I can take a hot apricot jam (as in the cupcakes’ tutorial)?

• Louise says

You can use any kind of sugar syrup, like the ones you can use in coffee. I have not tried hot apricot jam but I guess that it would work too. The only problem with the jam is that it sets quick so you will have to reheat it very often.

2. Carmie says

Hi Louis,
    Thank you very much for your tutorial. It’s wonderful, clear and easy to follow the instructions. I plan to make some for my kid’s birthday party in 2 weeks. Just a quick question, are we suppose to leave the fonant to dry and harden before putting them into cello bags?
    Carmie

• Louise says

I would only leave them on a tray with a tea towel over overnight and then pack them in cello bags. The fondant should not hard as in very dry. But due to the thin fondant layer it will harden a little bit. But still nice to eat. Alternative you could pack them in layers (parchment paper in between) in a airtight box until they need to be packed. So it’s up to you how much time you have up to the party. Happy Birthday with your boy in advance :-)

3. Dinacrowell says

how can I store fondant covered cookies for gift giving. I made them today and will give them away on Thanksgiving.  Should I freeze them? Will the fondant mold or the cookie for that matter?  I used sugar cookies and satin ice fondant.  Thanks

• Anonymous says

I would store them in a box, layered with parchment paper in between. Just make sure that the fondant are firm/dry on the surface. As it can get small marks when you pack the cookies. They will not start to mold or go bad. Lots of cookie businesses makes cookies up to 1 month in advance.
      Fra: Disqus [mailto:]
      Sendt: 18. november 2011 21:06
      Til: louise@cakejournal.com
      Emne: [cakejournal] Re: How to decorate cookies with rolled fondant

NOTE: This comment is waiting for your approval. It is not yet published on your site. ======

4. Lesley Wright says

I think I’ve read other questions like this and read your answers, but just want to check that I can cook and decorate these cookies about two weeks in advance and keep them in an airtight container? Do you have any other tips for keep them fresh? I have 40 to make for a Sunday party straight after a 3 tiered cake on the Saturday! I’d love to have them done in advance!

5. Sibel says

I tried these and it looked sooooo goood! Almost as good as yours but not quite :) They were gone before I had the chance to take a photo for you…
    I think I prefer fondant icing much more than royal icing. For starters it is not as messy or time consuming and has no wait time to set and dry. Also, a few kids in my sons class are allergic to eggs, fondant has no eggs! Yippieeee!Thanks so much for all your tutorials :)

6. Guloseimas-dalourdes1 says

ADOREIIIII!! MUITO OBRIGADA POR ESSAS IDEIAS MARAVILHOSAS.  GOSTARIA DE RECER MAIS IDEIAS .BEIJOS.

7. Mrspaye88 says

this is great. My husband and i are thinking about starting our own business and these tips are great to follow. Thanks