How to make a gum paste flower

gum paste flowers

This is one of the cupcake decorations, that many ask about. It is also one of the gum paste flowers that I always have lots of for later use. The cutter that I have used here, are a Petunia flower cutter. I have it in three sizes and the one used here are the largest of the three cutters that I have.

Follow this tutorial and learn how to make a gum paste flower. Use them to adorn your cakes and cupcakes as you can never get to many of these sweet flowers!

This is what I use:
Petunia flower cutters ( I use the ones from Tinkertech Two: 435, 573 & 599)
Five petal silicone veiner
Cornstarch duster
Gel paste color
Lustre dust
Tylo glue
Non stick Board
Rolling pin
Painter’s palette
Soft paint brush for the lustre dust
Small paint brush for the tylo glue
Gum paste
Edible sugar pearls (optional)
Royal icing (optional)
Non-pareils (optional)

Step 1:
Color you gumpaste with the gel paste color. Roll out your gum paste into 2mm thickness and cut out the flowers. Cut out 5 flowers at a time.

Step 2:
Dust the silicone veiner with cornstarch. Place the cut out flower in the veiner and place the pointed veiner part on top.

Step 3:
Give the veiner a light push with the palm of your hand. Open the veiner and carefully take out the flower. Place the flower in a painters palette and let it dry completely. Continue with the rest of the flowers.
Note: Remember to dust the silicone veiner with cornstarch when required.

Step 4:
When the flowers are dry, take a soft brush and brush off any cornstarch on the flowers. Then take a soft paint brush and lightly brush the flower with lustre dust from the center and out.

Step 5:
If you like, you can glue a little edible sugar pearl in the center of the flower. Let it dry and you will now have a pretty decoration for your cake or cupcake?.

Step 6:
This is just an example on what you also can use for the center of the flowers: A sprinkle of Non-pareils or small dots of royal icing.
gum paste flower

Tip!
The Petunia flower cutter is not the only one that you can use together with the silicone veiner. Five petal blossom cutters also makes pretty flowers.

Please visit my tutorial section if you want to learn how to make other gum paste flowers and decorations.

Comments

1. Pearse says

can you use the hydrangea veineer set for petunia and five petal blossom.?please advice
    thanks

• Mandjewers says

i love all your projects so pretty ,i used some florist sugarpaste by squires the one you use for rose and flower making, thats what it is called in the uk, and have made a few butterflies in pink differant sizes, was that the correct stuff to make them out of ? i would like to paint them but dont know what to use? do i have to paint something on the butterflys to stop them going soft when i put them in the buttercream.
      many thanks joanne uk

• Anonymous says

Joanne: You can use the SK florist paste too. If you would like to paint, you can do it with dry food powders or mix the powders with drops of clear alcohol. The alcohol will evaporate quick so the “liquid” will not soften the paste. If your decorations have dried long (1 week or more) it will take some time before they go soft in the BC. I like to use plain sugar paste (rolled fondant) kneaded with small amounts of tylo powder. This will also help to make strong decorations but if going on BC they will take some of the moisture and get a little soft but still hold the shape. It’s close to be the same as florist paste because they both have a “gum agent” Use 300 gr. Of sugar paste to 1-2 tsp of tylo powder. Color the paste first, then add the tylo powder.

Had to update – got my cutter and veiner today and I LOVE them!! They are so adorable. I cannot wait to see what they look like on the cupcakes in a couple weeks :)

Thank you so much for this, I just ordered a veiner and cutter. I am making cupcakes for my daughter’s birthday party (with butterflies too!) and they will be perfect!

4. Kristine Schmocker says

These are absolutely fabulous-thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful ideas. I am curious if you have a source for the veiner? Any suggestion you might have would be greatly appreciated!