How to make marshmallow fondant

Marshmallow fondant

Here is a little “How to” on how to make marshmallow fondant also known under the name MMF or chocolate MMF. You can use it to cover cakes. If you want to make flowers and figurines you will just have to knead in some Gum Tragacanth or Tylo powder so they dry up hard.

This is what I use:

Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds

White marshmallows (16 oz)
Water (2 tbsp)
Icing sugar sifted (1 to 2 pounds)
Crisco
Heatproof bowl
Spoon
Sift
Food colors or cocoa powder
Flavouring optional

Note: you can of course use your kitchen mixer when mixing in the icing sugar. Just remember to grease the bowl and paddle attachment well with Crisco.

Step 1:
Making marshmallow fondant

Put the marshmallows in a heatproof bowl and add the water. Put the bowl in the microwave oven and heat it for approx. 2 mins. until the marshmallows puff up like on the photo.

Step 2:
Marshmallow fondant

Stir the marshmallows until they get smooth. This is the time where you can add your chosen food color/cocoa powder or give it flavour.

Note: Color the mixture a bit stronger than desired. You can always make the color lighter afterwards by mixing it with white marshmallow fondant.

Making marshmallow fondant

Chocolate marshmallow fondant

Step 3:
Making marshmallow fondant
Now add the icing sugar and stir the mixture with a well greased spoon. Keep adding icing sugar until it looks like a dough. Turn out the “dough” on a greased work board and with your hands greased with Crisco start kneading the marshmallow fondant. Keep adding a little icing sugar at a time until it is not sticky anymore.

Be careful not to use all the icing sugar as to much icing sugar can makes it too dry. It is ready when it feels pliable and ready to roll. If you are not using the marshmallow fondant straight away then rub a bit of Crisco on it and wrap it in cling-film and seal it in a airthight bag.

Note: Some uses the marshmallow fondant right away but I prefer to let it rest for a day before use.

If your marshmallow fondant feels very hard you can always warm it up in the microwave for a few sec. at a time. Then it should be more pliable to work with. If it feels dry then knead in some Crisco or if it is too soft add more icing sugar. I hope you can use it.

Please visit my tutorial section if you want to learn how to make other icings and frostings.

Comments

Doreen: No, I only add the cocoa powder to get the right brown color I want. Then I add the powdered sugar.

Louise, when adding the chocolate powder, do you reduce the amount of powdered sugar you add? I’ve made mmf in the past, but never chocolate. Can you make it using all chocolate powder?

Marvellous! Thanks for sharing Louise… Fondant is underrated and is coming back into vogue thanks to you!!
    Looking forward to giving this a bash!
    I hope you don’t mind that I added you to my Cupcake Goddess Hall of Fame.

Hi to all of you,

The 2 pounds of icing sugar to 8 oz of mm is just to be sure that you have enough icing sugar. You may not use all of the 2 pounds.

Amy NY: It is really easy to make ;-)

Bakerette: The first time I made the Choc MMF I also used both melted chocolate & cocoa http://www.cakejournal.com/?p=69 and it cracked more so now I only use cocoa powder. You can add 1 tbsp of Crisco to the melted mixture before you add the cocoa. If is is too dry and crack then you will need to knead in more Crisco or a bit of water may also help.
    If you want to make flowers you will have to use gum.trag.

Jo: You can use the MMF to cover your cakes with and make flowers ect. It will harden slightly on the cakes. The first icing that I heard of was rolled fondant. I dont know if it is american…? but I know many americans who uses it for their cakes. I have some danish friends who only use MMF and their cakes looks fantastic. I myself tend to both use rolled fondant and MMF. It depends on what kind of cake I am decorating. You can see here: http://www.cakejournal.com/?p=69

Paula in Texas: I know that you have strawberry & chocolate mm ummmm.
    I am glad that you liked it :D

5. Paula in Texas says

I have tried this technique and I want to assure you guys out there that it is as easy as Louise says it is!!! There are marshmallows that are already pink and have a strawberry scent and taste. I have to buy two bags because my daughter and I eat at least one of the bags!!! There are marshmallows that are already chocolate as well. I have found them in my local supermarket and even at Target and Walmart stores!! I hope this helps!!

Louise thank you tremendously for all your great tutuorials!!

Paula in Texas!

6. jo says

The marshmallow icing looks very interesting. What do you use it for? How does it set on the cake? Does it harden or stay soft? I have never heard of it before… at the icing classes and sugar craft classes i did a couple of years ago i dont think we had time to cover MMF… or is it american? Can you tell me a cake that you have a photo of in your gallery that you have used it on?
    many thanks
    jo

Hi,
    Thanks for this, I was going to contact you right now about MMF but I saw your post!I tried making Chocolate MMF and failed miserably and I am not sure why. I followed the instructions and still the suff hardened so much. I just added melted chocolate to the sugarpaste…it worked ok but cracked a bit (you can see the chocolate ribbon on my blog). The recipe I used calls for 16oz mini marshmallows to 2 pounds of sugar. I just have a question, does it dry well by itself or do you need to add gum tragacanth to harden it up to use for flowers? Thanx a million..

Trackbacks