How to make marshmallow fondant

Marshmallow fondant

Here is a little “How to” on how to make marshmallow fondant also known under the name MMF or chocolate MMF. You can use it to cover cakes. If you want to make flowers and figurines you will just have to knead in some Gum Tragacanth or Tylo powder so they dry up hard.

This is what I use:

Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds

White marshmallows (16 oz)
Water (2 tbsp)
Icing sugar sifted (1 to 2 pounds)
Crisco
Heatproof bowl
Spoon
Sift
Food colors or cocoa powder
Flavouring optional

Note: you can of course use your kitchen mixer when mixing in the icing sugar. Just remember to grease the bowl and paddle attachment well with Crisco.

Step 1:
Making marshmallow fondant

Put the marshmallows in a heatproof bowl and add the water. Put the bowl in the microwave oven and heat it for approx. 2 mins. until the marshmallows puff up like on the photo.

Step 2:
Marshmallow fondant

Stir the marshmallows until they get smooth. This is the time where you can add your chosen food color/cocoa powder or give it flavour.

Note: Color the mixture a bit stronger than desired. You can always make the color lighter afterwards by mixing it with white marshmallow fondant.

Making marshmallow fondant

Chocolate marshmallow fondant

Step 3:
Making marshmallow fondant
Now add the icing sugar and stir the mixture with a well greased spoon. Keep adding icing sugar until it looks like a dough. Turn out the “dough” on a greased work board and with your hands greased with Crisco start kneading the marshmallow fondant. Keep adding a little icing sugar at a time until it is not sticky anymore.

Be careful not to use all the icing sugar as to much icing sugar can makes it too dry. It is ready when it feels pliable and ready to roll. If you are not using the marshmallow fondant straight away then rub a bit of Crisco on it and wrap it in cling-film and seal it in a airthight bag.

Note: Some uses the marshmallow fondant right away but I prefer to let it rest for a day before use.

If your marshmallow fondant feels very hard you can always warm it up in the microwave for a few sec. at a time. Then it should be more pliable to work with. If it feels dry then knead in some Crisco or if it is too soft add more icing sugar. I hope you can use it.

Please visit my tutorial section if you want to learn how to make other icings and frostings.

Comments

1. Charlie says

Hi Louise! I’m thinking about making this fondant but in chocolate flavour, how much cocoa powder would I use? Thanks!

• says

I can’t remember. I just added until it had a nice brown color. Though you don’t want to use to much as it can make the mmf dry. You can aff a little brown gel food color to make it more brown.

2. Valerie Khey says

Thank you for your tutorial!!! I was wondering I had planned to cover the cake and decorate 3 days prior to party and just leave in the fridge but just read somewhere that you shouldn’t do that? What do you recommend just decorating the day before and leaving it out ? I really appreciate your time.

Valerie Khey

• says

It really depends on what type of filling. I always store my cakes in the fridge and have a small problem with condensation when the cake is out of the fridge. I always decorate the day before but add more delicate flowers and so on the day.

3. Amanda Chik says

Thanks for your recipe. But I found that when I rolled out the fondant, there are many bubbles and seems not smooth. How can I make it smoother??

• says

You can try and add a little crisco. The airbubbles comes when the fondant is kneaded too much. I also struggles with many air bubbles in store bought fondant but found that it can be cut down to a mini mum if the fondant is slightly cold. Also give it a round with the fondant smoother before covering the cake can also help.

• says

Crisco is vegetable shortning is often used to keep the mmf soft and pliable. You can also use it for cooking and baking.

4. Joy says

Your post ve been an inspiration to me. Pleasesssss I would like you to post” how to make micky mouse cake topper. Thanks a lot

Trackbacks