How to make poured fondant icing

fondant icing

This is a tutorial on how to make poured fondant icing. Since I have used a danish recipe have I found another one at the ochef website. This poured fondant is not 100% white like the thing that you can buy from your cake decorating supplier, but it do not make any difference when adding color.

This is what I use:
2-1/2 cups sugar (480 grams)
1/2 cup water (120 ml)
1/4 cup corn syrup (60 ml)
Casserole
Candy-thermometer
Heavy-duty mixer with paddle attachment
2 plastic bags
A spoon

Step 1:
In a casserole add sugar, glycose syrup and water. Put in the candy-thermometer so that you can monitor the temperature.

Step 2:
Give the sugar mixture a quick stir and heat it up to the “soft-ball” stage (238°F; 114°C). The mixture needs to be heated as fast as possible, to prevent the sugar from turning brown, so dont be affraid to put the cooking plate on max. When it reaches the needed temperature you remove it from the heat.

Step 3:
Carefully pour the “sugar syrup” into the mixing bowl. Let it cool until it reaches 140°F (60°C).

Step 4:
When the “sugar syrup” has reached 140°F (60°C) start the mixer and let it beat in a slow/medium speed. DO NOT LEAVE IT UNATTENDED.

Step 5:
When the “sugar syrup” is turned into a thick “dough” it is done. It should look like on the picture.

Step 6:
Get the fondant out of the mixing bowl and double wrap it in plastic bags. Let it rest for 24 hours, in a dry and cool place, and it is ready for use.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Remember to pay close attention when you beat the “sugar syrup”. When it gets thick and creamy it can harden in no time and your paddle attachment could “freeze” into the mixture and you could end up with a broken mixer.
But as long as you only beat on slow/medium and stop to check once in a while it should be fine. Remember to be carefull when handling the hot “sugar syrup”

Please visit my tutorial section if you want to learn how to make other icings and frostings.

You can also read more about using poured fondant in my tutorial where you learn how to cover cupcakes with poured fondant here.

Comments

1. Monique says

Hi Louise. Your website is gorgeous! Quesion about this icing: can I use my paddle attachment that is white and covered in some sort of resin as opposed to a steel paddle attachment like you have in your photos? Thank you!

I was wondering what kind of candy thermometer you use? This will be my first time purchasing one, and I want to make sure the temperature is right since this will also be my first time making the poured fondant. Thanks!

Yasmin. I think that it would be better to make a very liquid ganache and then spread it with an offset spatular instead. Use 50/50 chocolate & cream

4. Yasmin says

Hi Louise, I have only just come across your blog, and am so impressed with the beautiful decorating you do. I am a keen about cake baking and decorating, but although my cakes/cupcakes turn out well, I lose points on decorating. I can never get it neat..
    I was wondering if the dipping technique you have used for poured fondant can also be used for frosting chocolate cupcakes with ganache? If so, is there any particular ganache recipe you would recommend for this process? thanks Yasmin.

Ashley: The best way is to melt it over a double boiler. If it gets to hot when heated in the microwave it can be difficult to work with. So a double boiler is the best.

6. Ashley says

Hi, I am very VERY new to cake decorating, and I’m only 14. But I have been experimenting with different cake coverings (fondant, buttercream, royal, ganache, and now poured). I found a recipe for poured fondant that only consisted of 3 cups of confectionary sugar, 1/4 of water, 1 tb of light corn syrup, and flavoring. I made it and it came out sticky and completely un pourable. When i added more water to it, it got hard and cracked.

Next time, I’m tihnking I will try this recipe. But after I make it, and let is sit for 24 hours, what do I do? Just put it in the microwave until its liquidy? Please, any help is appreciated.

7. Havah says

I’m allergic to corn, so Glycose syrup and Corn syrup are out. Do you have any recommendations for a fondant recipe without these ingredients? Thank you!