How to make poured fondant icing

fondant icing

This is a tutorial on how to make poured fondant icing. Since I have used a danish recipe have I found another one at the ochef website. This poured fondant is not 100% white like the thing that you can buy from your cake decorating supplier, but it do not make any difference when adding color.

This is what I use:
2-1/2 cups sugar (480 grams)
1/2 cup water (120 ml)
1/4 cup corn syrup (60 ml)
Casserole
Candy-thermometer
Heavy-duty mixer with paddle attachment
2 plastic bags
A spoon

Step 1:
In a casserole add sugar, glycose syrup and water. Put in the candy-thermometer so that you can monitor the temperature.

Step 2:
Give the sugar mixture a quick stir and heat it up to the “soft-ball” stage (238°F; 114°C). The mixture needs to be heated as fast as possible, to prevent the sugar from turning brown, so dont be affraid to put the cooking plate on max. When it reaches the needed temperature you remove it from the heat.

Step 3:
Carefully pour the “sugar syrup” into the mixing bowl. Let it cool until it reaches 140°F (60°C).

Step 4:
When the “sugar syrup” has reached 140°F (60°C) start the mixer and let it beat in a slow/medium speed. DO NOT LEAVE IT UNATTENDED.

Step 5:
When the “sugar syrup” is turned into a thick “dough” it is done. It should look like on the picture.

Step 6:
Get the fondant out of the mixing bowl and double wrap it in plastic bags. Let it rest for 24 hours, in a dry and cool place, and it is ready for use.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Remember to pay close attention when you beat the “sugar syrup”. When it gets thick and creamy it can harden in no time and your paddle attachment could “freeze” into the mixture and you could end up with a broken mixer.
But as long as you only beat on slow/medium and stop to check once in a while it should be fine. Remember to be carefull when handling the hot “sugar syrup”

Please visit my tutorial section if you want to learn how to make other icings and frostings.

You can also read more about using poured fondant in my tutorial where you learn how to cover cupcakes with poured fondant here.

Comments

1. kinz says

Hi Louise,
    Is it possible for me to use the ready made Wilton coloured fondant? So just use that & “melt” it in the microwave?

Thanks :)

• Louise says

Hi and apologies for the late reply. I must say that I have not had the best results with the Wilton fondant to make poured fondant, sorry. Wilton have an OK recipe for PF on their website or you can make this which is really good from Martha Stewart http://www.marthastewart.com/335566/petits-fours-icing NOTE: They have left out 1/2 cup of water in the ingredients list but written it in the direction. Just so you don’t miss it :-)

2. Maaria says

Hi there, could you please clear up a little issue for me? How much sugar/glucose syrup/water do you use in this recipe?

Thanks
    Maaria

• Anonymous says

I have added it the post. It was in a link before.

Fra: Disqus [mailto:]
      Sendt: 25. oktober 2011 17:47
      Til: louise@cakejournal.com
      Emne: [cakejournal] Re: How to make poured fondant icing

NOTE: This comment is waiting for your approval. It is not yet published on your site. ======

3. Anonymous says

Did you try to stir the syrup? To get the dough? My guess is that if it crystallized, the problem must be when boiling the syrup. Did you use a thermometer?

4. Prudenceamber says

Hello,

Just a quick question, I put my store bought rolled fondant in the microwave to attempt this poured fondant but it just burnt.

Is this the wrong fondant?

Any help would be so greatly appreciated

Kind regards
    Prudence

• Anonymous says

I recall that Wiltons fondant is not good to use for PF. How much did you give it in the microwave? You have to add a little water and only give it 2-5 sec at a time, stirring in between.

• Anonymous says

5. Prudenceamber says

Hello,

Is this the wrong fondant?

Any help would be so greatly appreciated

Kind regards
    Prudence

6. marianne delgado says

I get the store bought fondant I have and melt that in the microwave? Or is that kind a completely different kind?

• Anonymous says

You can, but some brands are better than others. The homemade are ok, but I like the readymade kind.

Trackbacks