How to make poured fondant icing

fondant icing

This is a tutorial on how to make poured fondant icing. Since I have used a danish recipe have I found another one at the ochef website. This poured fondant is not 100% white like the thing that you can buy from your cake decorating supplier, but it do not make any difference when adding color.

This is what I use:
2-1/2 cups sugar (480 grams)
1/2 cup water (120 ml)
1/4 cup corn syrup (60 ml)
Casserole
Candy-thermometer
Heavy-duty mixer with paddle attachment
2 plastic bags
A spoon

Step 1:
In a casserole add sugar, glycose syrup and water. Put in the candy-thermometer so that you can monitor the temperature.

Step 2:
Give the sugar mixture a quick stir and heat it up to the “soft-ball” stage (238°F; 114°C). The mixture needs to be heated as fast as possible, to prevent the sugar from turning brown, so dont be affraid to put the cooking plate on max. When it reaches the needed temperature you remove it from the heat.

Step 3:
Carefully pour the “sugar syrup” into the mixing bowl. Let it cool until it reaches 140°F (60°C).

Step 4:
When the “sugar syrup” has reached 140°F (60°C) start the mixer and let it beat in a slow/medium speed. DO NOT LEAVE IT UNATTENDED.

Step 5:
When the “sugar syrup” is turned into a thick “dough” it is done. It should look like on the picture.

Step 6:
Get the fondant out of the mixing bowl and double wrap it in plastic bags. Let it rest for 24 hours, in a dry and cool place, and it is ready for use.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Remember to pay close attention when you beat the “sugar syrup”. When it gets thick and creamy it can harden in no time and your paddle attachment could “freeze” into the mixture and you could end up with a broken mixer.
But as long as you only beat on slow/medium and stop to check once in a while it should be fine. Remember to be carefull when handling the hot “sugar syrup”

Please visit my tutorial section if you want to learn how to make other icings and frostings.

You can also read more about using poured fondant in my tutorial where you learn how to cover cupcakes with poured fondant here.

Comments

• says

You can store the icing (before it have been melted for coating) in the refrigerator. But when its on cupcakes ect. I would not.

• Louise says

It can be tricky to do. Since I wrote this recipe I’ve started to use another and more easier recipe. It’s Martha’s Petit Four icing that you can find on her website.

1. Shannon says

Is this how to make the icing or the pink and purple flower? How to make the flower? I really want to make milk bottle shaped for my cousin’s baby shower.. Or at least baby shaped..

2. Suman says

Does the fondant become hard in the bag? When I was beating it, it looked just like the pic that you have put up but once I put it in the bag as it cools its getting hard with a soft breaking consistency. Can I use it?

• Louise says

Yes, you simply place it in a double boiler and then gently warm/melt it. Add a little sugar syrup if it’s too thick. It should not boil at any time-

3. Allyson says

I love the cupcakes, but I’m just wondering if you have a tutorial on how to make the decoration on the cupcakes in the photo.

• Louise says

No, I don’t. The pink flowers are Hydrangea flowers. You can get both cutters & veiner for those at most cake decorating stores.

4. TAN says

Louse Thank you so much for the earlier reply and i am dying to make this, but i don’t have a candy thermometer. is there anyway to make this without a thermometer?
    thanks in advance…

5. Sam Norton says

Hello, I am in the UK and using metric measurements. You have put 1/4 cup of corn syrup is equal to 330 ml but then you have put 1/2 cup of water is equal to 120ml. Can you clear up the correct metric measurement please for corn syrup.
    Thank you!
    Kind Regards
    Sam

• Louise says

You are absolutely correct, the measure is not right. It is of course 1/4 cup = 60 ml of water.

6. Tan says

Hi, Louise,

Wondering it is corn syrup or glucose syrup you have to use…or both are same….

• Louise says

You can use both. It is hard for me to get corn syrup so most of the times I use glucose syrup.

7. Sandra says

I have made this 3 times now. Each time it is just like the tutorial until the last step. If I wait for the syrup to look like the last picture where it turns almost white, mine turns hard and crumbly. Should I stop when it looks like your 2nd to the last picture? When I am still able to stir it? Or will it soften after it sits 24 hours. I put it in a couple of bags and I can still push it a little but it is very firm. Is it still usable? If I add simple syrup to it will it work? Thanks and help!

• Louise says

You should stop when it looks thick like royal icing but not dry and crumbly. It will not soften after 24 hours but should be more hard in consistency. This will not be a problem since you melt the icing over double boiler and then add simple syrup to thin with as this type of icing do thicken rather quickly when you warm it. Hope this helps? If not, please write again.

Btw you can try this recipe from Martha Stewart it is a more simply poured fondant icing but works just as good http://www.marthastewart.com/335566/petits-fours-icing