How to make poured fondant icing

fondant icing

This is a tutorial on how to make poured fondant icing. Since I have used a danish recipe have I found another one at the ochef website. This poured fondant is not 100% white like the thing that you can buy from your cake decorating supplier, but it do not make any difference when adding color.

This is what I use:
2-1/2 cups sugar (480 grams)
1/2 cup water (120 ml)
1/4 cup corn syrup (60 ml)
Casserole
Candy-thermometer
Heavy-duty mixer with paddle attachment
2 plastic bags
A spoon

Step 1:
In a casserole add sugar, glycose syrup and water. Put in the candy-thermometer so that you can monitor the temperature.

Step 2:
Give the sugar mixture a quick stir and heat it up to the “soft-ball” stage (238°F; 114°C). The mixture needs to be heated as fast as possible, to prevent the sugar from turning brown, so dont be affraid to put the cooking plate on max. When it reaches the needed temperature you remove it from the heat.

Step 3:
Carefully pour the “sugar syrup” into the mixing bowl. Let it cool until it reaches 140°F (60°C).

Step 4:
When the “sugar syrup” has reached 140°F (60°C) start the mixer and let it beat in a slow/medium speed. DO NOT LEAVE IT UNATTENDED.

Step 5:
When the “sugar syrup” is turned into a thick “dough” it is done. It should look like on the picture.

Step 6:
Get the fondant out of the mixing bowl and double wrap it in plastic bags. Let it rest for 24 hours, in a dry and cool place, and it is ready for use.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Remember to pay close attention when you beat the “sugar syrup”. When it gets thick and creamy it can harden in no time and your paddle attachment could “freeze” into the mixture and you could end up with a broken mixer.
But as long as you only beat on slow/medium and stop to check once in a while it should be fine. Remember to be carefull when handling the hot “sugar syrup”

Please visit my tutorial section if you want to learn how to make other icings and frostings.

You can also read more about using poured fondant in my tutorial where you learn how to cover cupcakes with poured fondant here.

Comments

1. Eser says

Hello,

I have just made it and it crystalized. Why do you think it happened? Does it need some acid?

2. Steph says

Probably a dumb question, but I made this a couple if weeks ago and forgot about it, so it sat in the baggies on the counter, not refrigerated. Do you think it’s still ok, or is refrigerating unused fondant a must? Thanks!

3. Jen says

Hi there, I looked through several pages and couldn’t find these questions/answers. How long can the PF be made before you need to use it? I guess I need to know how long it can be stored in the fridge as well? At what point do you add food coloring? How far in advance can you make and ice the cupcakes before you need them? And lastly, do you just store them in a box outside the fridge, or inside the fridge? I am worried the the PF might dry out and crack and be inedible. Thanks so much!

• says

You can make the poured fondant weeks ahead and then just store the un colored fondant in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. When it is time to cover the cupcakes you take out the fondant, place it in the double boiler add a little sugar syrup and gently heat/melt the fondant. You may need to add more syrup to keep it pourable but not too thin. Also it may not boil. When it has the right consistency add a tiny amout of color, stir and it is ready to use. Keep it over the boiler through the “dip proces”

I keep my covered cupcakes in a box on the kitchen table. I like them freshly made on the day and do not store them for too long.

4. Beans says

Hi Louise, I would love to try this recipe. How many petit fours (1″x1″) do you think this would cover??

Thank you!

• says

I would really recommend you to take a look at the Martha Stewart site since she have a really good video on making Petit Fours. Lately I have used the recipe for the icing from there, since it is really good to pour over the cakes. I think that the link is in another comment on this post.