How to make Tylo glue

This glue is perfect for all kinds of sugarwork and it is very quick to make. Here you can see how to make Tylo glue:

This is what you will need:
1 tsp. of Tylo powder (CMC)
approx. 30 tsp. of boiled cooled water
1 plastic container with lid

Mix water and powder in the container. Close with the lid and shake well, it will look lumpy at first. Leave overnight so the Tylo will dissovle into a clear thick gel. It should be keept in the refrigerator and away from direct sunlight. Change your tylo glue every second week

Note: you can add more cooled boiled water if it gets to thick.

Happy Caking

Comments

• Duellii says

Tylose is just a brand name of CMC (CarboxylMethyll Cellulose), so its really more expensive. You can just buy CMC FOOD GRADE at Chemical stores. If you don’t know one I can refer you to Alysons’ Chemical Enterprises, located at 1425 G. Araneta, SFDM, Q.C. Its near SM Savemore corner Del Monte and Araneta. You can by the CMC by 250 g.

1. cguct1970 says

hi louise,
    i had a problem using xhantan gum to my gumpaste flower. its really hard to kned n roll,either to cut and make flower , the outcome also no nice as i use taraganth gum. i use 1 tsp to 200gm icing sugar. plz get me the right ratio to use this xhantan gum although the taragant gum too hard to get in my place..tq

2. Alison says

Hi Louise,
    what a wonderful, informative site! Thank you so much for taking the same to share all your knowledge & information with us all. I am already addicted & it’s in my ‘favorites’.

3. Jasmine says

Hi Louise,
    I would like to check with u is it possible for me to replace the Tylo powder (CMC) with tragacanth gum when i make the edible glue? Means, 1 tsp. of tragacanth gum + approx. 30 tsp. of boiled cooled water = edible glue.
    What is the different between tylo powder and tragacanth gum? thanks….

4. duriancheesecake says

Sue, noting the date of your comment, this reply is extremely late. Still, hope it helps. In China, you can browse taobao for cake ingredient suppliers and you will surely find what you’re looking for. Good luck.

Robyn: I dont recall using M&M’s on a cake? I only use tylo glue when it come to making figurines if it is flowers and so that needs to be glued on a cake I would use royal icing.