Churro cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are a twist on the traditional churros. This simple churro cupcake recipe is full of sugar, spice, and everything nice. What isn’t there to love about churros? They’re thick, chewy, sweet, fried, and completely encrusted with a delectable cinnamon-sugar combination. But. A few words about them. It takes cooking to make them at home, and obtaining them in stores is practically difficult. That’s why churro-inspired treats are the way to go! You will love this recipe whether you’re serving it to guests at a get-together, looking for a festive Cinco de Mayo dessert, or just serving it to your family. Try this at your home for your family. Keep reading to know more about how to make your churro cupcakes!
Ingredients You’ll Need For Churro Cupcakes
- 16.25-oz white cake mix
- 3.4-oz Instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 12-oz cream cheese, cold
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
How To Make Your Churro Cupcakes
Step 1: First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line the muffin trays with cupcake liners.
Step 2: Next, begin making the cupcake batter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or in a mixing basin with an electric hand mixer) by combining the cake mix, ground cinnamon, dry vanilla pudding mix, and mixing to incorporating.
Step 3: Pour in the water, oil, and eggs. Blend for about 30 seconds on low, then increase to medium-high and mix for about 2 minutes. Scoop batter into prepared cupcake liners, filling them only halfway. 15-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 4: Let the cupcakes cool completely before preparing the icing.
Step 5: Add softened butter and cold cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk paddle (or in a mixing dish with an electric hand mixer). Mix until fully smooth with no lumps.
Step 6: On low speed, gradually add powdered sugar and mix until combined. Furthermore, add the vanilla extract and ground cinnamon, and mix on medium-high speed just until combined and the frosting is frothy.
Step 7: Swirl frosting onto cooled cupcakes using a piping bag fitted with a large closed star tip (or other piping tips of preference).
Step 8: Make the topping in a small bowl by combining sugar and cinnamon. Lastly, before serving, sprinkle over the icing of each cupcake.
TIPS FOR DELICIOUS CHURRO CUPCAKES:
- Store boxed cake mixes in your cupboard as a convenient shortcut in making handmade baked goods.
- Don’t overmix the batter after adding the wet components.
- Fill the cupcake tins only halfway. Fill these only about halfway.
- Allow the butter to come to room temperature while keeping the cream cheese cold! It makes the icing more able to maintain its shape. Simply combine the two before adding the rest of the frosting ingredients.
- If you don’t have a piping bag, put the frosting in a zip-top bag and snip off the corner, or simply smear it on top of the cupcakes with a knife.
If you have available churros, chop them into bite-size pieces and use them as a garnish on the icing! Keeping the cream cheese cold for this frosting helps to keep the icing firm enough for piping. If you like churros, you’ll love these!