Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Filling

chocolate cake with raspberry filling

This chocolate chip cake was the very first cake recipe that I tried out for my first decorated cake. Now seven years later it is still one of my most used recipes. I got the recipe from a danish online cake community but I have made some changes over time. I like to use it for layered cakes, cake bites, 3D cakes or just plain with a spread of thin royal icing and sprinkles on top.

I always like to use a filling together with this chocolate cake. Chocolate ganache or fruit mousse. I used to use a store bought mousse mixture but nothing beats a good home made fruit mousse. So when I saw a tv program with a danish pastry chef making raspberry mousse I thought I would give it a try.

I hope that you will enjoy the chocolate chip cake with raspberry filling just as much as I do.

Chocolate chip cake
Raspberry mousse

Comments

Hi, thank you so much for sharing the recipe for the raspberry mousse. I made a chocolate layer cake for my husband’s birthday yesterday and it was really delicious. We’re not keen on very sweet frosting/fillings so the mousse was just perfect. I also put a little whipped cream and grated chocolate on top with the candles just for effect. Will definitely make it again.

2. Irene says

Hi I have a quick question about the gelatine sheets used in the mousse. there are different types of gelatine sheets. for example I can get sheets of titanium strength. I have also seen gold strength. does it matter what type???

• Louise says

We only have one type of gelatine sheets here in Denmark, so I don’t know which strength you should use. Sorry.

3. Cathlene says

Hi Louise
    I love your blog and finally had a go at this chocolate chip cake, but using gluten-free flour. Unfortunately the mix was very runny and the choc chips sank to the bottom. The cake didn’t really rise and is very dense. It tastes great though so I want to have another go. Before I start playing around with quantities of flour (adjustment sometimes required with gluten-free), can you please let me know roughly how many mls the orange juice amounts to for you with your ‘large’ oranges. The oranges I used were quite large and I’m wondering if they were just too big.
    Thanks, and keep inspiring!
    Cathlene

• Louise says

Firstly it is a very runny/thin cake batter so nothing wrongs there. However you can mix the choc chips with a little flour just before adding them to the mixture. This helps to prevent them from all sinking. Also try and chop some of the chips too.

You should be using about 300 ml of orange juice. I hope that you succeed with the gluten-free adjustments πŸ™‚

• Louise says

It’s not that you can’t do it. I just never use the fan for my cakes. I find that it makes a hard crust and that the top of the cake bakes faster than than the rest of the cake.

4. Janessa says

Would i be able to melt the chocolate chips for the batter for a deeper chocolate taste? Would that effect anything in a negative way?

• Louise says

I have never tried this with melted chocolate all these year that I have baked this cake. Always used the choc chips. So I can only say that you will have to try it out.

5. Laura says

I am thinking of using this recipe as a birthday cake for my little sister, would it still work if i used orange buttercream in the place of the mousse ?
    Also, does the recipe make enough to fill 3 shallow 8 inch cake pans ?
    Thanks,
    Laura x

• Louise says

You want to make three cakes as in three layers? and not splitting any of the three cakes? How tall are your pans?

6. Suzanne Noordewier says

This cake is sitting in the oven as we speak.. and it’s HUGE! Thanks for sharing your fantastic recipes!

Suzanne

7. Claus Dalby says

KΓ¦re Louise, jeg er fuld af beundring over dine frembringelser. Du er en utrolig dygtig hΓ₯ndvΓ¦rker.

8. Crystal_tan1993 says

Hmm, may i ask if i bake th chocolate cake and prepare the mousse on a wednesday night, and i store both separtely. And i decorated and do the layering on thursday morning. am i able to keep the cake till sunday afternoon?

• Anonymous says

Firstly you need to do the filling/layering the same day you make the mousse because the mousse will set “firm”. Also I would not recommend to make it 4 days ahead. I fill my cakes Friday if they will be eaten sat/sun. Depending on how you will decorate the cake, then you can freeze the cake if you are in short time. To do so, level the cake and assemble it with the mousse like shown here: http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/cake-tins and place it straight after in the freezer still in the cake pan. Take it out Friday morning and let it thaw in the refrigerator until Saturday where you decorate the cake. If that’s possible of course.

• Crystal_tan1993 says

Hmm, what if I do the layering and decorating together on thursday morning. am i able to keep the cake till sat?

I made this cake today and it is the best recipe I’ve ever tried! The cake turned out perfect. I’m saving this! Thanks for sharing Louise πŸ™‚

10. Nkarastamati says

Beautiful!!! How many grams is each gelatine sheet because here in Greece different brands have different weight and we count everything in grams.

11. Claire says

Hi Louise

I have recently discovered your blog and I am addicted. After being made redundany this year I have decided to try and make some money out of my hobby …baking and cake decorating. I would like to give this cake a go for a baby shower I am doing for the weekend. I will be making it in a 10″ square cake pan. Do you know how I should adjust the cooking times/temp for it?

• Anonymous says

Well I have been baking this in three different ovens now and I still haven’t a final cooking time for it. I always set the timer for 1 hour and then go from there. I often bake a lower temp and then a little longer. Cakes gets best this way. I hope you like it πŸ™‚

12. Anonymous says

I think you can. I have edited the recipe. It should be around 5 tsp of gelatin instead of sheets. How much are there in the envelopes and how much water are needed? Thanks

13. Kathy says

This looks so good! I just love your website and have tried several of your recipes. Thanks so much for sharing with all of us!

14. Kath Mckeown says

Hi Louise,
    How long does this cake last I am doing my daughters wedding cake and I would like to do this for one of the layers.

kath.

• Anonymous says

You can store the cake well wrapped for 1 week. Or you can freeze it. This is only for the cake. If you use the raspberry mousse it will last for max.3 days

15. Karen says

OMGosh…I love this cake plate. Is it old or could I find it somewhere? I have just discovered your sight…can’t wait to get to “know” you!!!

Karen

16. Kinnaryr says

Hi.. (1) Instead of fresh berries.. can i use the strawberry crush? the texture of the crush is similar.. thick and sweet. Pls advice.
    (2)Also is there a need to add sugar syrup to moisten the sponge before applying the mousse?

• Anonymous says

I can only say that you would have to try? I am not familiar with strawberry crush. You can use frozen raspberries. I will be adding a strawberry mousse recipe soon.

It is not a sponge cake but you can add a little sugar syrup if you like.

17. Raphaellebakes says

hemmm…. delicious.. I love chocolate cake.. but never try “the raspberry mousse”.. lovely pink color.. gut for girl b’day… can i copy your recipe please?? thanks for sharing.. bless you

• Anonymous says

The recipe was published for you guys to use so of course you can use it too πŸ™‚ If you use it on a blog or similar a ref mention would be nice.

18. Cakebreak says

Wow, I’ve never thought that orange juice would go with chocolate chip cake. I’ll have to try it. Your cake is perfectly leveled and I love the beautiful contrast colors of dark brown and speckled pink. How long would you be able to keep the mousse filling out of fridge?

• Anonymous says

You can’t really taste the orange juice but it does something with the cake. I have to thank my Agbay cake leveler for the leveling πŸ™‚

• Anonymous says

19. I_AM_PAM_10 says

Not a raspberry fan, but I have a lot of customers that are, so this will be tried for sure on my next order. I have a question…When you say you sometimes spread a thin layer royal icing and sprinkles…Royal icing that gets crunchy hard or do you have another version of a royal icing? Thanks, I so enjoy your emails and posts.

• Anonymous says

I just either a royal icing that I thin with water, or you can also just mix powdered sugar with a little boiling water. The last one will not get as crunchy as the first one.

20. Becky says

Mmmm….what I love most is the layers of filling are as thick as the layers of cake! We all know the point of eating cake is to eat the filling and icing πŸ™‚

21. Andreadrkopp says

Hi Louise,
    I have a question about the mousse…
    As fondant cannot be stored in the refrigerator, is it safe to leave this cake at room temperature for some hours (because of the heavy cream) ?
    thanks

• Anonymous says

You can store fondant cakes in the refrigerator. The problem is when you take the cold fondant cake out and condensation starts (sweating cake) I take my cakes out 1 hour before serving and usually this will be enough for the cake to “dry up” if not a small fan can help. Most important is NOT to touch the fondant while its “wet”. Its worst around summertime or if the humidity is very high.

When my cake is covered with fondant and ready to be put in the refrigerator I place it in a cardboard cake box if the cake can fit inside. This can help a bit avoiding the condensation when taking out the cake.

I have never had any problems with the fondant starting to melt or so. I have been making cakes this way for 7 years now and since we here in Denmark, Sweden and Norway make cakes with fruit mousse we always store them in the refrigerator. If it is a cake with butter cream I would not store it in the refrigerator. Cakes with ganache I would store in my basement where it has a cool temp. But when using mousse you have to store it cold or it will not get firm. I store my fondant in the refrigerator too. Any top decorations and so are place on the cake just before serving.

22. Paula says

hi louise,
    beautiful cake and colours……
    in summer we have lots of raspberries in the garden, so i will give a try…….
    gr paula