How to decorate cookies with rolled fondant

Fondant cookies

Decorating with rolled fondant is the easiest way to get a beautiful cookie in no time. You use the same cookie cutter to cut out the rolled fondant and apply it to the cookie with a little bit of corn syrup.

I like to use small embossing sticks or veining tools to make pretty details in the rolled fondant. Royal icing and lustre dust is also great to use. There are no limits when it comes to decorating cookies. Just be creative!

Follow this tutorial on how to decorate cookies with rolled fondant.

This is what I use:

Sugar cookies in the shape of butterflies or dragonflies
Cookie cutters in the same shape
Non-stick board
Rolling pin
Knife
Corn syrup & brush
Soft brush for the lustre dust
Dresden & veining tool (I recomend the one from Jem)
Lustre dust (I have used: Aqua shimmer & Iced Pink from Edable Art)
Rolled fondant in your chosen colors + small amount of white rolled fondant
Paper towel

Dragonfly:

Step 1:

Roll out your rolled fondant thinly and cut out the wings with the cookie cutter.
We are only going to use the wing part. So you dont have to cut out the whole shape like I did. Just the wings.

Step 2:

Cut the wings in shape with a knife like shown on wing A.

Step 3:

Brush a thin coat of corn syrup on the wing part of the sugar cookie and gently place the wing pieces on top.

Step 4:

With your finger smooth out the edge of the wings.

Step 5:

Take your veining tool and mark the wings with fine lines.

Step 6:

Brush lustre dust on the wings with a soft brush. Use a piece of paper towel to protect your non-stick board!

Step 7:

Take a small piece of white rolled fondant and make the body and the head. Glue it on with a little corn syrup. Use the veining tool to make small marks down the body.

Butterfly:

Step 1:

Take your chosen color for the large wing and roll out the rolled fondant thinly. Cut out the wings with the cookie cutter and cut wing A with a knife like shown on the photo.

Step 2 & 3:
Repeat step 3 & 4 from the dragonfly cookie.

Step 4:

Take your veining tool and make 3 lines on both large wings.

Step 5:

Roll out the second color of rolled fondant and cut out another pair of wings with the cookie cutter. Cut the small wings in the shape as shown on step 1/wing B. Brush a little corn syrup on the small wing parts.

Step 6:

Gently place the small wing pieces on the sugar cookie. With your finger smooth out the edges all around the small wings. Again use the veining tool to make 3 lines on the wings.

Step 7:

Step 8:
Repeat step 7 from the dragonfly.

Tip: Make the butterfly in all white rolled fondant, with pearl lustre dust. For the perfect wedding favor.

Please visit my tutorial section if you want to learn other cookie decoration techniques.

Comments

1. gloria says

You say you can store cookies for 3weeks in a air tight container? Are those fondant decorated cookies? Will the fondant still be good to eat? Is that at room temp or in fridge? Thanks

2. Ciara says

Hi, love the cookies!
    Was just wondering if glucose syrup would be a suitable substitute for corn syrup in this instance?
    Thanks :D

3. Sruthi says

hi,
    will the cookie go soggy cause of the fondant? and how do u store it? ive never tried it before so just asking :)
    TIA

4. emily says

say i made cookies and then decorated them with fondant. would they ship well if they were in an airtight containter, each cookie indivualy wrqapped with wax paper? :/

5. Plum says

My stencil cookies always spread so much in the oven, even when I let the dough rest in the fridge before use. I’ve tried using more flour in the dough but it made the cookies taste awful. Help?

6. steph says

hi
    can you help
    i am making silhouette wedding cookies and am rolling sugar paste out and using bespoke cookie cutters to punch out the silhouettes in the sugar paste and attach to the cookies, how long does the sugar paste need to dry before i can bag them up? do i let the sugar paste dry before i attach it to the cokies? as when im putting the iced cookies in to the bags the paste is sticking to the cellophane bags, hope you can help

• says

When I need to bag sugar paste/fondant cookies I let them “dry” for a couple of hours or over night covered with a clean kitchen towel. Attach to cookies and then dry. This way you can smooth the edges.

7. Emily says

Hi Louise :-) Firstly i think your cookies are beautiful and love reading through your tutorials. Thankyou for taking the time to show others!
    My question to you is… why is my fondant shape too big for my cookie even though i used the same size cutter? It’s like me cookie has shrank. Please help. Thankyou.

• says

The only times I have had the problem that you describe is when I have used some left over cookie dough that was maybe 2-3 days old. Meaning always use freshly made and chilled cookie dough. Have you tried the recipe for Vanilla sugar cookies? You can find it on the blog. It have never failed me.