How to make a Christmas wreath cookie

This is the first of four special Christmas tutorials for you this Christmas 🙂 Today it’s a Christmas wreath cookie decorated with royal icing. You can use your favourite gingerbread or sugar cookie dough for the wreath. Remember to start colouring your icing 1-2 days in advance. That way the colour will have time to “mature” and it can save you from adding too much colour in the end.

This is what I use:
Round cookies with holes
Red royal icing (soft consistency)
Green royal icing (soft consistency)
Round tip 2 or 3 for the red icing
Leaf tip medium size for the green icing

Step 1:
Pipe the green royal icing leaves on the cookie. Starting from the inside of the cookie working your way around the wreath. Set aside to dry.

Step 2:
Pipe small red berries randomly on the wreath and set aside to dry completly.

Step 3:
Voila! A nice Christmas wreath cookie for you to enjoy.
Christmas wreath cookie

Happy Caking

Comments

1. Frith says

Louise, they look lovely! Just discovered your blog, am hooked already! I was just wondering how you made the leaves look like leaves?

2. Carleen says

Louise it is always a pleasure to look at your work. The cookies are gorgeous. I can not wait to see what is coming next!

3. Patricia aka Jopalis says

These are so cute! How could we make a bow? Do you have to rewhip the RI after it has sat for a couple of days for the colors to deepen?

Dhanya: Ups so sorry I think I forgot to answer one of your questions about the red icing. I use an extra strong paste color only. Regular red colours takes forever and often the whole bottle to colour deep red.

aileen. Thank you 🙂

5. Maria says

Everything you do is always so beautiful and perfect. Would you by any chance have a receipe for a gingerbread cookie you could share. Im having trouble finding something that taste good and doesnt spread too much. Thanks

Becky: He he… that is not my counter top its my non stick board 😉 I had just changed the white balance on the camera. For the red and green splotches I was just hidding them. I cant go near gel paste without having it all over my hands. Glad that you liked the wreaths.

Eunice: Snowflake cookies is so gorgeous. I wish the boxed set where you can cut out details in the cookie before its baked.

StineHelene: Ja der må da være telepatiske evner på spil 😉

Mrs Cakeaholic: Dejligt at høre fra andre danske bloggere.

Rachel: Happy to inspire!

charlotte: Sometimes the plain and simple is the most beautiful.

Prettytoya: Thank you.

sugardimples: Maybe I should do like you. But I just have so many things that Im dying to try for Christmas.

My S&S: Thank you. What have you planned?

Dhanya: Thank you.

Ladybug Luggage: I too will be making cc with a touch of Christmas

7. Dhanya says

How do you make this red icing? I am having a hard time making the red buttercream because whenever i add the red the icing is bitter. Please help.

Thanks
    dhanya.

Cool! I’ll have to give this a try.

Also, any tips on making the traditional sugar cookies with the pretty pictures on? I want to have a go at that ‘filling’ technique that looks so pretty.

9. Ladybug Luggage says

I have to make Christmas cupcakes, I love the wreath and will try it out on them, thanks for the inspiration!!

10. sugardimples says

Thank you so much! I’m trying to narrow down which project I want to do for the holidays. This could be it!

11. Rachel says

Wow! This cookie is so simple and yet is is just so gorgeous! Thank you for the tutorial! I will definitely be making some of these for Christmas this year!

Rachel

FANTASTISK!!

Jeg havde faktisk overvejet at skrive til dig og spørge hvordan du havde lavet dem i dit album og her er så hjælpen! Det må være telepatyve 😉

Tusinde tak Louise!

beautiful, Louise! I just did blue snowflake cookies (my first time making cookies in forever, and first time dealing with royal icing…it was awesome.) and I can’t wait to get back from work to dust them with a beeyootiful shiny coat! it’s probably wrong but I can’t wait most of all to take pictures of them =D

happy holidays, dear Louise! your blog always inspires!

14. Becky says

Adorable!!!! Thank you for next weekend’s baking project 🙂 I can’t wait for the next three tutorials!
    P.S. Your countertops are way too clean…mine never look like that when I’m decorating anything…..you haven’t spilled royal icing anywhere, and your hands don’t have red or green splotches on them 😉