Star Wars birthday cake

My son turned 8 this week and he’s a big fan of the Star Wars universe. Today we had a Star Wars themed birthday party with goodies like: Yoda soda, Vader water, Wookie cookies, Jedi Starfighter pizza, Jedi training school and of course a cake!

I baked a chocolate chip cake and decorated it with blue rolled fondant, Star Wars logo and light sabers.

Comments

Hi Louise,

Your site is just beautiful.

The star wars themed cake is great – im sure your 8 years old loved it just as much as my 31 year old husband would :).

How do you get the logo so perfect? Did you use a cookie cutter or cut by hand with a knife? When I try to cut the fondant with a knife it drags the fondant or the sides are not smooth. Help please.

• Louise says

I made some card board templates to cut after. The fondant will not drag if you let it dry for 10 -15 minutes before you cut it.

3. michelle says

HI LOUISE , I LOVE THIS CAKE ! MY SON IS 9 AND ALSO A HUGE STAR WARS FAN ! I WOULD LOVE TO TRY THIS FOR HIM , MY ONLY QUESTION IS HOW DID YOU DO THE LETTERS ? WAS IT FROM CUTTERS OR DID YOU MAKE YOUR OWN STENCILS ? THANKS , MICHELLE

• Louise says

Michelle please find a link in the comments to the special Star Wars font that I used. I printed it out on paper when I had the right font size for the letters (check the cake pan that you will be using) Cut them out and then transfer to more sturdy paper. Remember to let the fondant dry for 10-15 min before you cut them out using a very sharp knife. It is also good to add a little tylo/gumtex powder so that they will hold the shape.

• MICHELLE says

THANK YOU LOUISE . ONLY AFTER YOUR REPLY DID I READ ALL THE OLDER COMMENTS AND REALIZED I WAS ONE OF MANY MANY PPL ASKING THE SAME QUESTION ! THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND YOUR REPLY ! YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION !

4. bayoubelle says

Great cake. How did you keep the letters from warping? Also, did you use a stencil to create the letters?

• Louise says

Just let the fondant dry for 15 min before cutting with a sharp knife 🙂 I used a special Star Wars font (find link in one of my other comments on this post)

5. Lin says

Great cake, I am learning to be cake decorater and Im doing it myself as the baking schools are expensive. Thank you your website is great and helpful to me while i’m learning.

6. Paola says

Dear Louise your cakes are always perfect, the lettering looks fantastic!! Happy birthday to your son!

7. Tesei says

It’s amazing how well you got the logo, how did you do it? Were you tracing form a real photo? Also, I looked at your Choco Chip Cake recipe which loooks lovely, for this rectangular cake did you use the same quantities in your recipe? Thank’s a lot for sharing!

• Louise says

I downloaded the font from here http://www.dafont.com/search.php?psize=m&q=jedi I then printed it out in the size that I wanted. It is important that the ST + RS is in one piece. The A & W + R is single. Also I do NOT cut out the centers of the A’s and R’s. I then cut out the letters and traced them to cardboard paper. The white fondant was kneaded with some tylo/gum tex and then rolled out on cornstarch dusted surface. I let the white fondant dry for 10-15 mins before I cut out the letters with a sharp knife. Transfer the letters to a tray (dusted).
      To get the blue letters a bit smaller I simply just cut the cardboard letters a bit smaller, Just eyeballing it and remember this time to cut out the centers on the A’s and R’s. Let the blue letters dry for 10 mins before gluing them on to the white letters. The the logo dry overnight.

I used 1 + 1/2 quantities for the rectangle cake pan. I can see what size the pan is if you like?

• Tesei says

Louise, thank you so much for the details! My rectangular pan is roughly 10 x 13 inches (we go by cms and its 26×35). From your picture, I imagine yours is similar, would you say 1 1/2 times the recipe would do in my pan? Thank again!

• Louise says

My pan is 23x33cm So 1 1/2 recipe would be good. Remember to make a collar as the cake tends to rise.

8. Yuri - Chef Pandita says

Looks amazing! Your soon is a cool kid 😀 both me & my bf are HUGE starwars fans. Wait till I show him this cake <3