Trying to stay on that health kick but you’re craving dessert? Well we’re here to help satisfy that desire for sweets without the guilt. This easy vegan recipe is a great alternative to keep your diet on track. We created another vegan dessert, Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting that you should also check out. Both recipes are super quick and easy recipes, so there’s no excuse not to try them out. And don’t forget to check out our Ultimate Vegan Baking Guide for more on healthy baking!
In today’s recipe, we teach you how to make sugar cookies from scratch without the use of eggs or regular milk. These are the best sugar cookies I’ve ever had and I had no guilt when eating them! Sounds great right? We used almond milk as a substitution for regular milk. We also used an oil based butter that is dairy free. We paired the sugar cookies with vegan icing for those with a sweet tooth. Let’s jump right into this easy, healthy dessert recipe.
Check out the full tutorial!
For the cookies
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup vegan margarine, softened (I used Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
- 1/4 cup almond milk/soymilk (I prefer Original or Vanilla flavor for baking)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the icing
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 5 tablespoons (vanilla) almond milk/soymilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease your baking sheet.
- In large bowl, combine the confectioner’s sugar, vegan butter, milk, and vanilla. Stir in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and cream of tartar. Beat with a hand mixer or stand mixer until fully incorporated.
- Roll your dough into 2 inch balls.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until the sugar cookies are golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool before adding your icing. I found it easiest to spread the icing on with a butter or cheese knife. And enjoy!