Everybody needs a morning pick-me-up, at least on occasion. One of our favorites is having a freshly baked, delicious pumpkin coffee cake at the ready. Try out one of these recipes for a delightful start to your family’s day.
1. Basic Pumpkin Coffee Cake
This basic pumpkin coffee recipe from All Recipes is perfect for treating your guests to a little morning sunshine.
Ingredients for the Topping:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup canned or cooked pumpkin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
How to Make the Pumpkin Coffee Cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine sugars and cinnamon into a bowl.
3. Add in the butter until the mixture looks like crumbs.
4. Now, stir in the pecans, and set aside this tipping mix.
5. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar for the cake.
6. Add in the eggs, one at a time. Beat well with each addition.
7. Combine the sour cream, vanilla, and pumpkin together, and mix well.
8. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mix, alternating the sour cream and dry mix in with the eggs as you mix.
9. Beat all of this at low speed until fully blended.
10. Spread the batter into two floured and greased 9-inch cake pans.
11. Sprinkle the topping mixture over both pans.
12. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
13. Serve warm for best results.
2. Pumpkin Latte Coffee Cake
This awesome recipe from Better Homes and Gardens will get you going in the mornings.
Ingredients for Coffee Drizzle:
- 1 – 2 tablespoons cooled Espresso or strong-brewed coffee
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon light-colored corn syrup
Directions for Coffee Drizzle:
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine corn syrup and powdered sugar, and stir together.
2. Now, add in cooled espresso, stirring all the while, until the mix reaches drizzling consistency.
Ingredients for Coffee Streusel:
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup cold butter
Directions for Making Coffee Streusel:
1. Combine rolled oats, brown sugar, flour, and pumpkin spice in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the whole mix is thoroughly combined and crumbly.
Ingredients for the Pumpkin Coffee Cake:
- 5 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder or instant coffee granules
- 1 8 ounces package of cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 recipe Streusel
- 1 recipe coffee drizzle
Directions for Making the Pumpkin Coffee Cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a 13x9x2 inch pan and set it aside.
3. Stir together 2 eggs and espresso powder, then set aside.
4. Now, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed, until it becomes fluffy.
5. Beat in 2/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and vanilla, until smooth.
6. Now, take the espresso mix and beat it in, and set it aside.
7. In a separate bowl, stir together the baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, 3 cups flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
8. In a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add in the 1 1/2 cups sugar, and beat until fluffy.
9. Now, add the remaining eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
10. Beat in the pumpkin, and alternately add in the flour and buttermilk.
11. Spread half of the batter into your baking pan.
12. Then layer in the cream cheese mixture.
13. Top the cream cheese layer with an even covering of the remainder of the batter.
14. Add the final dollops of cream cheese mix to the top of the batter, and swirl in with a knife.
15. Sprinkle with the coffee streusel.
16. Bake the cake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
17. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 45 minutes.
18. Drizzle the coffee drizzle over the cake, and let the cake finish cooling before serving.
Enjoy Your Pumpkin Coffee Cake!
While the coffee cake is best fresh out of the oven and recently cooled, your mornings will run smoother if you plan ahead and bake your cake before the day. Try making it up right before bed, and see if you can resist noshing on the crumbly goodness before you climb into bed.