As the summer comes to an end, there is always a mix of emotions. There’s excitement for the upcoming school year, as well as anxiety. There’s sadness as the lazy days of summer drift away. However, there will always be memories of those fun summer days.
A favorite summer food of mine is apple pie. If you’ve ever tried to make an apple pie, you know how time consuming it can be. Here’s a quick and easy and incredibly scrumptious dessert that will satisfy your craving for apple pie in a cool, new way: apple pie fries!
Apple Pie Fries
1 package of refrigerated pie crust
10 oz apple pie filling
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup sugar
Caramel Topping for Dipping
1. Preheat Oven to 350.
2. Spray cookie sheet.
3. Allow crust to warm slightly.
4. Dust a designated area with flour.
5. Pulse the pie filling in a food processor.
6. Spread apples over the top of the crust leaving an 1/8″ allowance at the edges.
7. Place the other crust on top.
8. Cut into 1/2″ wide stripes and then cut into “fry” (or other desired) length.
9. Beat egg in a bowl. Mix together the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Brush the egg on top of the “fries” and sprinkle the sugar mixture lightly onto the fries.
10. Add sparkling sugar if desired.
11. Put on prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes.
12. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve alone or with desired condiments, such as caramel dipping sauce.
Enjoy these apple pie fries with vanilla ice cream for a classic taste or heat up a slice of cheddar cheese on top of the fries for a complex taste.
This dessert is sure to warm your heart and make you thankful for a long, wonderful summer.
Share your creations with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @cakejournal.