Who here loves cake donuts? Everybody! Or at least nearly everybody does. And that’s why we’ve brought together three of the best cake donut recipes for your convenience.
Now there’s no need to go out to the store for donuts that turn out to be stale, you can make them fresh in your home!
Plain Cake Donuts
This simple recipe from All Recipes will do the trick if you’re looking for a plain cake donut to glaze. This recipe yields a dozen donuts.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 liter oil for frying
1. Heat up the oil in a deep fryer. Get it to 190 degrees Celsius or approximately 374 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Sift together the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
3. Mix in the butter until the batter gets crumbly.
4. Now, add in the milk and egg, and stir until smooth.
6. Knead the dough lightly, and turn out onto a lightly floured countertop.
7. Roll the dough into 1/4 inch thickness.
8. Next, cut with a donut cutter or, if those aren’t available, use a couple of biscuit tins to create the traditional donut shape.
9. Carefully ease the donuts into the hot oil, only a couple at a time. Too many donuts in there will make the oil overflow.
10. Fry for about a minute and a half, and then turn over and finish. Donuts should be golden on both sides before you remove from oil.
11. Let the donuts drain on a plate covered in paper towels.
Chocolate Cake Donuts
Of course, not everyone wants just plain cake donuts. So, we had to offer this amazing chocolate donut recipe from Better Homes and Garden.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 2 teaspoons of sprinkles
- Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. With the cooking spray, coat your mini donut pan and set aside.
3. Stir together your flour, baking soda, salt, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder.
4. In a separate bowl, stir together your yogurt, eff, oil, vanilla, and brown sugar.
5. Now, add the whole wet mix to the dry flour mix at once, and stir until it’s all smooth.
6. Put the batter into a large resealable bag and cut off one corner.
7. Squeeze the batter out into the donut pan. Make sure you only fill each donut cup to about 2/3 fullness.
8. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the donuts feel almost firm when you lightly press on them.
9. Remove from the oven, and let them cool, in the pan, on a wire cooling rack for three minutes.
10. Now, remove the donuts from the pan, and let them cool the rest of the way on the rack.
11. While the donuts are cooling, grab another bowl, and combine 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, milk, and the powdered sugar, and stir until smooth.
12. Once the donuts are cool, use the frosting to drip the donuts. Top with sprinkles, and let the icing harden before serving.
Strawberry Lemonade Cake Donuts
For a uniquely refreshing, tasty breakfast treat, try these summery strawberry lemonade donuts from Crème de la Crumb.
- An egg
- 1 cup water
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 ounces very soft cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a donut baking pan.
3. Whisk together egg, cake mix, water, and vegetable oil until smooth.
4. Pour the mixture into a resealable bag and cut one corner off.
5. Squeeze the donut batter into the donut pan, getting each cup about 2/3 full.
6. Bake the donuts for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the edges just start to turn brown.
7. Remove the donuts from the oven, and cool for 5 to 10 minutes in the pan. They should easily come out of the pan at this point.
8. Let the donuts completely cool on a wire rack before glazing them.
9. While the donuts are cooling, combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and cream cheese. Mix until smooth.
10. Once the donuts are cool, dip them into the glaze, and then let them finish cooling.
- 🍩 NEED A CABIN FEVER RELIEVER - This fun and easy baking kit uses regular cake mix and simple ingredients to make an...
- 🍩 EASY TO BAKE NONSTICK PAN : Bake and decorate a GIANT Donut — or Smash Cake with a surprise in the middle — up...
- 🍩 EASY TO DECORATE: Awaken your inner artist (and inner child). Use the magic center insert and fill your OMG Donut...
- Make a half or a full dozen of donuts for breakfast with this donut baking sheet set
- Baking sheet comes in set of 2 for double the doughnut and pastries, without the deep fryer hassle
- Donut pans are 12.5 x 8 inches, cavity is 3.25 inches diameter for standard-sized donuts
Final Tips for Your Cake Donuts
If you’re into trying other flavor combinations, you can always add a little mint extract to your standard glaze to punch up the flavor.
Last update on 2021-12-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API