A teddy bear cake is ideal for a kid’s birthday party or a baby shower. The recipe for this teddy bear cake is simple, and the result is beautiful and delicious. If you want to make a cake like this at home, use this simple recipe. Nothing is cuter than this teddy bear cake! This cute cake is made of milk chocolate cake layers, filled with creamy vanilla buttercream, and adorned to resemble a teddy bear.
Tools You’ll Need to Make This Teddy Bear Cake
- 5-quart, Stand Mixer with mixing bowl and paddle attachment
- 3, 6-inch cake pans or 2, 8-inch cake pans
- Offset spatula
- An 8-inch or 10-inch white cake board
- Serrated knife or cake leveler
- Cake scraper or bench scraper
- Whisk or sifter
- Rubber Spatula
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray and Parchment Paper
- Ice Cream Scooper with Trigger Release (for dividing cake batter evenly)
- Cake Stand, optional
- Small fondant rolling pin
- Silicone fondant mat
- Fondant (ivory, tan, pink, black, and white)
- X-Acto knife
- 2, 20-gauge covered wires & 2 toothpicks
- Wire cutters
- Cornstarch and Vegetable Shortening
- Piping bag
- Coupler with small star piping tip
Instructions on How to Make Moist Milk Chocolate Cake
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Nonstick spray three 6-inch round baking pans or two 8-inch round cake pans, then line the bottoms with parchment paper and spray again. Place aside.
- Next, mix the all-purpose flour, milk cocoa powder, granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt in a stand mixer basin fitted with a paddle attachment. Place aside.
- Then, mix the eggs and vegetable oil on low until well combined.
- Pour in the buttermilk and top with the brewed coffee. Then, mix for 30 seconds on medium. Scrape down the bowl’s sides.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the three cake pans and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove cakes from oven and cool for 10 minutes in pans before flipping onto cooling racks to cool completely — wrap cakes in plastic wrap and place in freezer for 30 minutes to chill.
How to Make Creamy Vanilla Buttercream?
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer basin fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the salt and vanilla extract.
- Then, gently add the powdered sugar and cream. Mix on medium-high for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl’s sides.
- To remove any air bubbles, run the mixer on low for 2 minutes before using, or use a rubber spatula. (You may need to repeat this step when icing the outside of the cake).
- Moreover, save half of the white buttercream for stacking and filling the cake, and use the other half to make a light brown or tan colored buttercream for the teddy bear’s fur. Also, fill a piping bag fitted with a coupler and a small star piping tip with 12 of the tan buttercream and put it aside.
Instructions on How to Make Simple Fondant Decorations
- Roll the pink fondant to 1/8 inch thickness on a silicon surface, then cut off one long strip using a sharp x-acto knife. Turn the piece over and dab a little water in the center of the strip. Fold each end so that they meet in the center. Then, press the center together and cut a tiny strip to wrap around to make a bow.
- Roll a piece of ivory fondant into an oval shape about the size of a 3 12-inch nose/muzzle
- Roll out 1/8 inch thick brown fondant and cut out two circle ears. Then, for the inner ears, spread out light pink fondant. Connect with water and trim the ends to make a flat bottom of the ear. In each ear, insert a covered wire.
- Next, roll out black fondant to 1/8 inch thickness. For the eyes, cut two tiny circles. After that, roll a short rope. Cut two pieces to define the top of each eye for the eyelashes, then one small part for the ends of the eyelashes.
- Highlight the black eyes with two little spots of white fondant. Attach the white fondant with water. Set aside all fondant pieces for one hour to dry.
Instructions on How to Put it Altogether
- Take the cake layers out of the freezer and unroll them. Next, chop the domes off the cakes with a sharp knife to make the layers flat and equal.
- Spread some buttercream in the center of the cake board. Layer the chilled milk chocolate cake on the cake board, and cut the side up.
- 2/3 cup vanilla buttercream should be spread over the cake. Place another cake layer, cut side down, on top of the first. Repeat for the second layer — crumb coat and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Attach the ivory fondant nose/muzzle piece to the side of the cake with toothpicks.
- Then, start piping little stars all over the cake with the tan buttercream around the fondant.
- Finish with the pink ribbon and fondant eyes around the nose/muzzle, and done!
Recommended read: Cupcake Flower, Brownie Bites, and Cupcake Treats.
Leave a Reply