Lemon Chiffon Cake Recipe

Lemon Chiffon Cake

I absolutely love spring and seeing all the new fresh fruit available!  When I saw the huge lemons in my grocery store last week, I immediately wanted to bake something light and lemony that would remind me spring is just around the corner!

This Lemon Chiffon Layer Cake is a recipe out of a very old cookbook that my grandmother left to me.  The cake is light and airy – with a not-too-sweet whipped cream frosting and filled with creamy delicious Lemon Curd.

I hope you’ll give it a try!

Slice of Lemon Chiffon Cake 2

• 6 large eggs, separated
  • 3/4 cup cold water
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1-2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
  • Filling:
  • 2/3 cup lemon curd (homemade or store-bought)
  • Frosting Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups heaving whipping cream
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoon of lemon curd

For the frosting:
  1. Whip the heavy cream and sugar in a large chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the lemon curd and combine well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to frost the cake.
  2. For the cake:
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the six egg yolks, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and water.
  4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 cup of sugar.
  5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Mix until smooth and set aside.
  6. In a mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites and cream of tarter until light and foamy. Slowly add in 1/2 cup of sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
  7. Stir about 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the cake batter and mix. Gently fold in the remaining egg white mixture.
  8. Divide the batter between the 3 prepared pans. Bake for approximately 60 minutes, or until the cake springs back when touched with your finger.
  9. Place the hot pans on a wire rack and allow the cakes to cool in the pans. Once cool, run a blade around the edge of the cake and invert to remove the cake from the pans. Peel away the parchment paper.
  10. To assemble the cake, place one layer on a cake pan, then generously spread about 1/3 cup of lemon curd over the top. Add the next layer of cake and repeat. Place the third cake on top.
  11. Frost the top and sides with the whipped lemon cream frosting. Chill until ready to serve!

Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C)

(3) 8″ round ungreased cake pans, lined with parchment

This cake was so light and lemony  – perfect for spring and Easter!

1. Kathleen says

Hi, I am looking for a recipe to make for my wedding cake, this one looks so good! I am wondering how many cups of batter this recipe makes so I can figure out how many batches I will need to make? Thanks!

• says

Hi Kathleen, I honestly don’t know but I have to tell you, I wouldn’t recommend this cake for a tiered cake. It’s so light and tender – I’m just not sure it would be sturdy enough for stacking!

2. Linda says

I baked this for 40 minutes and it was overdone. I checked my oven temp and it was 350 the whole time. My advice would be to watch this one carefully. Hopefully the taste will overcome the dryness.

3. Chris says

Hi, i want to make this for my mom’s birthday and I was wondering if the frosting is pipeable? Also, will it weep if I have to wait to eat it 6 or 7 hours after frosting it?

Thank you for the recipe, it looks amazing!

4. Claire Rebecca says

My cake baked in 30 minutes and was kind of tough (still good though) – any idea what happened?

5. tAHUT says

Am I the first one reading this recipe and noticing the cooking time is incorrect? It says “16 minutes”, but I believe that should be more like “60 minutes”?

• says

I cannot tell you if that would work or not because I’ve never tried a substitution like that. Of course, you can do a trial run, but there’s always the possibility of it failing.

• Stacey says

I just tried it with coconut oil because I don’t buy veg oil. I live in Phoenix and at this time of year, my coconut oil is liquid. When I added the cold water, the oil solidified. I kind of expected this. So I popped the bowl in the microwave for about 25 seconds…just enough to melt the oil…and continued as directed. I just pulled the caked out of the oven and all seems well.

I’m excited to taste the cake. I love lemon!

6. mary says

Wonderful…made for Hubby birthday…looked so rich; put a layer of lemon curd on top. Surprise, cake was so light and the frosting perfect. A day full of making this masterpiece and seafood lasagna…will rest until next year. Thanks!

7. TaraJensen says

I was wondering, how would you change the cooking time for two 9″ pans? Should I just check it periodically after about 30 minutes or so?

8. Nicole says

Good morning,

This cake looks fantastic!! I was wondering if it would be strong enough to hold a blueberry filling, or would the weight “deflate” the cake?

Also, for the ombre cake, why not try a stabilized whipped cream? It hold up but is still light and airy.

Thanks a bunch!

9. Tangeline says

i was wondering if you thought this frosting would hold up to use to make a “petal” ombré cake? The recipe looks fantastic, but I have my heart set on making with a petal ombré affect for my daughters first birthday. Any advice you have would be great!

10. sarah says

i want to try the cake and frosting to make cake pops.. will it work or i have to ise another frosting recipe?
    Please reply to my email if you can.

11. Anne says

Hi I would like to try your lemon chiffon cake recipe….. but cannot find recipe anywhere on page for the lemon chiffon cake recipe. Please help?

thank you.

12. Elena Tshiteya says

Hi Rose, This cake looks fabulous and would like to make it for my moms birthday. Unfortunately when I am on your cite it lets me see the picture and the comments but not the actual recipe. Should I look somewhere else or is the recipe no longer posted?

13. Ashley says

That frosting is so light! I topped this beauty with candied lemons. I received some pretty awesome reviews. I’m going to try it out as cupcakes this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!

14. Sanjana says

I really want to try out this recipe, but instead of three, I want to make 6 layers. Obviously, each layer would be much thinner. So how should I make any temperature/baking time adjustments in that case?

15. Jude says

Made this as a birthday cake, but instead of three 8″ pans, I used two 9″ springforms. This batter is thin, so the pans leaked a bit, and my floor is not quite level, so one of the, turned out a little lopsided :/. All that aside, the cake turned out AMAZING. 🙂 Very simple, very light very fluffy.

Gonna add this one to the recipe book, thanks!

i have made this cake. Yes it sank a bit by the sides of the cake too. But that was not too bad. The texture and taste was great. My customers were pleasantly surprised at how light and tangy this cake was! Many repeat orders! Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful cake! 🙂

17. Rajah says

I just made a variation of this cake using your cake batter recipe and it turned out amazing!

18. Karen says

Just made these and used buttermilk oops not sure if my switch out did this or not but when I took them out of the oven to cool they separated from the sides of the pan like an inch. I can’t wait to ice them and make some lemon curd. This looks like an amazing cake!

19. Billie says

I had a real issue with this cake sinking down and away from the sides. The cake was definitely cooked (took much longer than 16 minutes in my oven?!) so I have no idea what went wrong. Please help! Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

20. Christina says

Thank you for the recipe. I was even able to modify and use the LorAnn oil in Champagne flavor to make a WONDERFUL champange cake filled with whipped cream and strawberries. Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

Wow, this looks AMAZING. Easter has already passed, but I don’t think I need an excuse for this cake!

And the photographs are stunning, too 🙂

22. Kim L says

It looks beautiful. I love lemon desserts.

Would I be able to bake and frost this the day before for a dinner party?

23. shikha says

Thank you for the lovely recipe, is their a way I can make this eggless… as we are vegetarian who do not eat eggs..

24. ThecakeFairybyMonica says

I made this cake for Easter and everybody loved it!! Thank you so much for the recipe

25. Lisa says

I tried this cake on the weekend and it was very yummy however your conversion from degree f to degrees c is incorrect. It should be 180 degrees c instead of 180 degrees c.

26. gillian says

I made this today for a family birthday and it was a BIG hit. Just wondering about oven temperatures. 350 f is 170 c- is it a typo on the recipe? I have a fan oven so i cooked it at 160 c but it took a lot longer than 16 mins. Should i raise the temperature?. Other than this it proved easy to make. I had to look up what cake flour was – turns out I just had to remove 3 1/2 tablespoons of the flour and replace it with corn flour. Dont think we have cake flour here in Ireland :)) Thanks for sharing

• says

I apologize for that error. I’m not terribly familiar with Celsius, but I think it should have been closer to 180°C. When I baked at 350°F and had the batter divided between three 8 inch pans, they were done in 16 minutes.

• says

I haven’t tried to make this recipe into cupcakes, so I’m not sure. If I were going to do it, I’d inject the lemon curd into the cupcake as a “pocket” of filling, then pile up the frosting on top! I can’t imagine that it would be bad! 🙂