I often get asked how to make a Vegan (specifically, dairy free) frosting for cupcakes or cakes. This recipe is very simple and easy to use. This recipe does not produce a crusting icing, but rather and nice smooth light frosting. For more on vegan baking check out our Ultimate Vegan Baking Guide! Enjoy!
Vegan Vanilla Frosting
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- Using an electric mixer or a stand mixer add the vegan margarine and vegetable shortening and mix until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and mix in completely.
- Add icing sugar one cup at a time, continue mixing as you add each cup of icing sugar. Continue to mix all ingredients until light and fluffy.
Please note: as there is no dairy products in the frosting, the icing will not crust.
Hi – wondering if after frosting cupcakes or cake with this frosting if they will need to be refrigerated or will they be okay sitting out for awhile. Thanks.
Is it okay just to use the shortening & not margarine for the frosting?Also I’m planning to make it for the smash cake for my baby’s first bday. is it safe to use shortening?Thanks.
Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ve been hoping for a frosting recipe that doesn’t require a double boiler so this is great!
Yummmm! Delicious vegan food is one reason why the number of vegans has doubled in less than 3 years. Here’s a video to help everyone understand why so many people are making this life affirming choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKr4HZ7ukSE