I often get asked how to make a Vegan (specifically, dairy free) frosting for cupcakes or cakes. This recipe is very simple and easy to use. This recipe does not produce a crusting icing, but rather and nice smooth light frosting. For more on vegan baking check out our Ultimate Vegan Baking Guide! Enjoy!
Vegan Vanilla Frosting
This recipe is for vegan vanilla frosting that could be used to go on top of cupcakes or cakes
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- Using an electric mixer or a stand mixer add the vegan margarine and vegetable shortening and mix until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and mix in completely.
- Add icing sugar one cup at a time, continue mixing as you add each cup of icing sugar. Continue to mix all ingredients until light and fluffy.
Please note: as there is no dairy products in the frosting, the icing will not crust.