White Meringue Frosting
- 3/4 cup (170 g) granulated white sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- It is best to make this frosting in a metal bowl from a kitchen mixer. But if you dont have one you can make it in a double boiler, using a hand mixer.
- place all ingredients in the mixer bowl and whisk until well combined. Fill a saucepan with water about (2-3 cups). The saucepan should be large enough for the mixer bowl to “rest in it” but without touching the bottom of the saucepan.
- When the water is shimmering place the bowl in the sauce pan and whisk the mixture. The mixture must not boil. Whisk until all the sugar is dissovled or you will end up with a grainy looking frosting. Check to see if it has reached a temperature of 160-170 F (70-75 C) Remove from the saucepan.
- Place the bowl in the kitchen mixer with the whisk attachment on. Whisk the meringue frosting until stiff peaks forms and has a glossy look. This can take up to 12 -15 minutes or more.
- When the white meringue frosting is ready, you can use it as it is or color it with food gel colors. This frosting will crust over time but the center of the frosting swirl will still be thick and fluffy.
If using it on cupcakes, use a plastic piping bag and a large piping tip for great cupcake swirls.