I know there’s a lot of controversy over using cake mixes vs. baking from scratch, but I have to tell you – I am a cake mix girl! The recipes are reliable and my clients absolutely love the flavor! This White Sour Cream Cake is delicious, sturdy, and it never fails me!
For the recipe below, I measure out the cake mix by the cup. Since cake mix brands are all different, I figure that’s an easier way to handle the recipe so that anyone can use it. Anyone who has access to a cake mix, that is.
The recipe is also versatile in that if you wanted, you could change up the flavors, using the same proportions, and get something completely different. Use chocolate cake mix instead of white and you have a Chocolate Sour Cream Cake.
The possibilities are endless! For the cake I’m sharing here, I used vanilla buttercream, but it also pairs beautifully with cream cheese buttercream or lemon frosting.
- 4 Fluid Ounce Bottle
- Organic almond extract for pure, heavenly taste and aroma in baked treats and desserts
- Certified Organic, Kosher
White Sour Cream Cake
- 4 cups of white cake mix (approximately 20 ounces by weight)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 3 large whole eggs (use 4 egg whites if you prefer a super white cake, but I find the whole eggs still yield a very pretty white cake)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl.
- Add the liquid ingredients and beat on low speed for 2-3 minutes, until well combined. This recipe will not rise as much as other cake recipes, so fill your pans about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 325°F (time depends on the size pans used*).
- Bakes in 8″ round pan for 38-43 minutes or cupcakes for 18-19 minutes.
This recipe yields enough batter for (2) 8″ round pans that are 2″ deep. I used less batter per pan and made a 3-layer cake.
- MAKES CAKE REMOVAL EASY, Fun and Nearly Impossible to Mess Up
- CLEVERLY DESIGNED - A Blade On the Bottom of Each Pan Makes a Full 360º Sweep Under the Cake to Ensure Removal is...
- CONTAINS THREE Tinplate 8” Diameter Cake Pans - Depth 1.5"