We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What will you serve for your next party? Will you go fancy and make key-lime meringue tarts? Or will you go simpler and serve the delicious, and always classic, chocolate cupcake?
You probably know our vote, but in case you need some incentive, here’s a great chocolate cupcake recipe and ideas for fantastic twists to make this simple dessert a hit the next time you entertain.
- Item Package Weight: 1.021kg
- Item Package Length: 12.954cm
- Item Package Width: 13.208cm
Classic Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
This classic recipe from Martha Stewart will meet all of your chocolate cupcake needs.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line your cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: cocoa, baking soda, flour, and salt, and then set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Now, add in the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
- Next, beat in the vanilla extract.
- Now, with the mixer speed on low, add in the dry flour mixture one half at a time, alternating with sour cream in the middle.
- Pour that gooey batter into your muffin liners, filling each cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake cupcakes until a toothpick come clean from the centers of a couple of the cupcakes. This should take about 20-25 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then pop them out and let them finish cooling a wire cooling rack.
- Now, the fun part: add your frosting choice.
Frosting Flavors and Recipes to Compliment Your Chocolate Cupcakes
Frosting Choice #1— Double the Fun, Double the Chocolate
Creamy Chocolate Frosting
This recipe from All Recipes is amazing. You’ll love it. But read the ingredients and try it out, just to be sure.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 3/4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How You’ll Make Them:
- In your favorite mixing bowl, sift together the cocoa, confectioner’s sugar, and set aside for later.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter until it’s smooth, then gradually add in the sugar and cocoa mix, alternately with the evaporated milk.
- Now, blend in the vanilla extract, and beat until light and fluffy.
- If the consistency is off, adjust with a little more evaporated milk or sugar.
- VIVID COLORING SET - Comes with 12 color highly concentrated edible food coloring in a wide range of bright vivid...
- FOOD GRADE INGREDIENTS - This food grade water-based food coloring set was made from safety ingredients, odorless and...
- EASY to USE - Highly concentrated liquid food color with drop mouth design makes it easy to control your drops and...
Frosting Choice #2 — Color Me Red
Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
Raspberry and chocolate is one of the most incredible flavor combinations, at least in our opinion, so why not top your chocolate cupcakes with some raspberry frosting and a piece of delectable fruit?
1/3 cups butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup raspberry liqueur or raspberry syrup
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Red gel food dye (optional)
- Beat together the powdered sugar and butter in a medium bowl, on medium speed.
- When the butter and sugar mix is smooth, beat in the liqueur or syrup and vanilla, until spreadable and smooth.
- If you want a deep pink or red frosting, add in a little red gel food dye at a time until you reach the desired color.
- Pipe onto your cupcakes – and then stick a raspberry in the center of each one.
Frosting Choice #3 — Call Me Minty
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
If you love mint chocolate chip ice cream, you’ll love this flavor pairing.
- 1//2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- food coloring (optional)
- Beat the butter in your bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed.
- Once the butter becomes creamy, gradually add in the confectioner’s sugar and milk. Beat until smooth.
- Add in the peppermint extract and food coloring, if you’d like to add some color. Beat on high speed until fluffy.
- Most people go with a red or green color for peppermint icing. Of course, you could have a little fun, and surprise your guests by dyeing the frosting a color not normally associated with peppermint, like blue or purple.
- Bakto Flavors is a family-owned company dedicated to bringing together scientific expertise with high quality flavors.
- All flavors are Natural, Kosher, and Keto-Friendly.
- For Specific Flavor Ingredients & Specs, please look up Individual Flavor's Product Page on Amazon! Perfect in Cookies,...
Other Favorite Frosting Flavors
Other popular flavors for your chocolate cupcakes could include:
- Strawberry cream
- Crème de Menthe
- Orange crème
- Marshmallow fluff
- Pumpkin spice
Bake, Frost, Delight
The basic chocolate cupcake can serve just about any sweet purpose. But with some unique icing flavors like coconut crème, raspberry, or peppermint, you’ll wow the crowd without a whole lot of effort.
Last update on 2021-06-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API