How to make Minecraft Creeper Cake Pops

minecraft creeper cake popsMinecraft is a popular video game about breaking and building with blocks. Players can make structures to protect against nocturnal monsters like creepers.

They can also work together to build creative worlds. It’s a top birthday party theme at the moment, so here’s a tutorial about making quick, easy creeper cake pops.

creeper2.jpgThere are two secrets that make these cake pops quick and easy. One of them is the Wilton Bite-Size Brownie Squares Silicone Mold. This mold has two dozen 1.5” squares which are perfect for forming cake pops! I found it in the baking aisle of my local craft store.

creeper3.jpgFor detailed instructions to make successful cake pops, refer to my previous post: Cake Pops 101: Tips & Tricks. After you bake the cake and roll the balls, press them into the cavities of the Wilton mold. Refrigerate them in the mold for at least two hours, up to overnight.

creeper4.jpg

To decorate the cake pops, you will need:

Chilled cake squares
Microwave-safe bowl
Green candy color
Lollipop sticks
Candy melts (I use Chocoley Bada Bing Bada Boom Dipping & Enrobing Formula)
Wilton black color mist spray
Cake pop holder or foam block
Creeper face template

creeper5.jpgThis brings me to the second secret of these quick cake pops: the creeper face template. Find a piece of thin cardboard, draw a creeper face on it, and use an Xacto knife to cut it out. This will help speed the decorating process greatly!

creeper6.jpgOnce your cake pops are chilled turn them out onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. The bottom of the squares will have a smooth surface so they should face up. Place them in the freezer to continue firming while you prepare the chocolate.

creeper7Follow the package instructions to melt your chocolate. The brand I like is a very thin dipping chocolate. It melts to a silky smooth consistency for easy dipping.  Chilling the cake balls and using this chocolate ensure that I never have a cake ball fall off the stick.

creeper8.jpgUse a toothpick to add some candy color to the melted chocolate and stir until green.

creeper9.jpgDip your lollipop stick into the melted chocolate about one inch. Push the chocolate-covered end of the stick into the middle of the cake square. Dip your cake pop straight down into the chocolate until it is submerged and the melted chocolate touches the stick. Hold it sideways over the bowl as it drips.

creeper10.jpgWork quickly taking the squares one at a time from the freezer to the melted chocolate. Place each pop upright in the holder  while they dry.  If a cake pop cracks, you can re-dip it to hide the crack.

creeper11.jpgNow to add the creeper faces! I spread out a garbage bag on my counter to protect it. It is also a good idea to protect your hands with gloves. Hold the template flat on the surface of the cake pop and evenly spray the black color mist.

creeper12.jpgWhen you lift the template, the face pattern remains.

creeper13.jpgContinue these steps, occasionally blotting your template dry with a clean paper towel.

creeper14When the faces are done, you can fix any mistakes with a clean Q-tip and vodka. It effectively cleans off any color mist mistakes and quickly evaporates.

creeper16.jpgI tied black ribbon to each stick to dress them up. I stored these pops in a lined cardboard cake box overnight and served them the next day.  The faces stay slightly tacky to the touch so I don’t recommend stacking them.

I hope the Minecraft enthusiasts at your next party enjoy these treats!

Happy caking!

Renée

Renée
Reneé caught the cake decorating bug seven years ago when she made her son's first birthday cake. Since then, she's created hundreds of custom cakes and cupcakes. Her work has been featured on various baking and party blogs. In her free time, you'll find her planning the next baking project or sharing her knowledge on CakeJournal.
Renée
Renée

Comments

1. Julia says

Hello wondering if you put the cake box in the freezer or left them out after they were made. We live in very warm weather so would it be best to keep them chilled until its time to hand out?

2. Hannah says

Hi, I live in Alaska where it is very expensive to ship the Chocoley products. Do you recommend any other dipping chocolates?

My nephew is right into Minecraft,so these are on the menu for us to make during the upcoming school holidays. I have already done up the shopping list of what we will need to make them. Thank you for sharing.

4. Mel says

I made these and I just wanted to share my experience. I do not recommend attempting to use Wilton Candy Melts or Almond bark. These do not melt thin enough, even if you add oil or shortening. Also, you must use an oil based colorant, which may not be easy to find. It was not available in any store. Finally, if you use Candy melts or almond bark, you cannot use the color mist spray, it will not work on an oil based candy. Also, I recommend filling the brownie cups all the way up, otherwise the candy sticks are almost too thin to support the candy coated cake ball. Having said all that, I consider this attempt a success and I don’t think the kids in my son’s class we care that they aren’t perfect.

• Renee says

Hi Mel. Thanks for sharing your experience. With this project, like most baking projects, it is the little details that count. If you read the cake Pops 101: Tips & Tricks post that I link back to, it covers all of the point you made. I would never recommend Wilton chocolate. That’s why I recommend a specific brand that melts very thin in the post. It makes all the difference. The post I link back to also explains about using oil based colors and why. These are readily available at any craft store that has a baking aisle (Michaels, AC Moore, Walmart, etc). They are also available online. The Wilton color mist worked great on the brand of chocolate that I recommend which was colored with oil based colors. I noted how to store them to avoid smudging. And yes, of course you should fill the mold cavities completely as I showed in my photos so you have enough surface area to get a good hold with your lollipop stick. Thanks for reiterating all of these points. The details really make a difference! :)

• Renee says

Thanks Trisha. Yes, there is a link to the Chocoley chocolate that I use right in the blog post. I love how thin it melts. I hope it works well for you, too :)

5. Annette says

Thank you for the great tutorial, Renee. Can you please share which brand of melting chocolate you use? I’m having a difficult time finding a good quality chocolate that melts thinly and easily. Thank you again! :)

• Renee says

Thanks Annette! I like Chocoley Bada Bing Bada Boom Dipping & Enrobing Formula because it melts very thin. I buy it online.