We all know that summer is a time for vacations, and most people like to take their vacations in the tropics. Today, we’re serving up a recipe that will bring that tropical vacation to you, even if you’re stuck at your desk.
Bananas and coconuts are classic island fruits, and this recipe combines them perfectly. Moist banana cake is topped with sweet coconut icing, flaked coconut, and a few colorful nonpareil sprinkles for an extra pop of color.
Banana Coconut Cupcakes
This recipe provides the ingredients and directions for making the banana cupcakes along with the coconut icing.
- 1/2 C Butter
- 1 1/4 C Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 C Flour
- 1 3/4 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 Mashed Ripened Bananas
- 1/2 C Butter
- 3 1/2-4 C Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- 3 Tsp Coconut Extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla extract and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add a third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Add half of the milk and mix well.
- Add another third of the flour, mix, then add the remaining milk.
- Add the remaining flour and continue beating until well mixed. Beat in mashed bananas until well combined.
- Using a measuring cup, pour batter into a lined or greased cupcake pan.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until golden.
- Once cooled, top with Coconut Icing.
- Cream the butter, then add half of the powdered sugar.
- Add the milk and coconut extract and continue to beat.
- Continue to add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.