There are tons of recipes for the most classic cupcake of them all. The vanilla cupcake! I have lost track on how many different recipes, that I have tried to myself. Some were good, some were bad and some failed to a disaster. There are many different opinions on what makes a good vanilla cupcake. So, no wonder why there are thousands of vanilla cupcake recipes out there.
I went through a stack of old recipes, and I were thrilled to find an old recipe for vanilla cupcakes. I remember them as a bit too greasy but with a good taste. So I decided to make some small modifications to the recipe and made a test batch. They came out great.
A perfect vanilla cupcake! That bake perfect too. Half of the paper cases were filled with a heaped tablespoon of batter and the rest were filled 3/4 full. They are good without frosting but they are certainly also good with a nice swirl of frosting on top. So far, I have tried them with Angel Feather Icing. It is a really good combination. I cannot wait to try them with other types of frosting.
These cupcakes are also good the next day. Would you like to try the classic vanilla cupcakes? Then scroll down for the recipe.
One of the best vanilla cupcake recipes that you will find.
This one is tested to be very good if you follow the directions and include all of the ingredients.
- 125 g (1/2 cup – 4 oz + a little less than a tbsp) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 175 g (7/8 cup – 6 oz) white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 225 g (1 5/8 cup – 8 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) cream (heavy cream)(room temperature)
- Muffin tray
- 12 cupcake paper cases
- Preheat oven to 170 C (325F) No fan used.
- In a bowl, whisk well together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter & sugar until pale and well combined (If you are using vanilla seeds, then add this before creaming the butter & sugar)
- Add 1 egg at a time. Mix in between and remember to scrape down the sides before adding a new egg.
- Add the dry mixture, along with the cream and vanilla extract. Mix just until incorporated. Alternative use a spatula for this part.
- Take your muffin tray with the cupcake paper cases and fill them with the cupcake batter.
- -If you want a “flat” cupcake? You should only fill 1 heaped tablespoon per cupcake.
- -If you want a more “domed” cupcake? You should fill the paper cases 3/4 full.
- Place the muffin tray in the middle of the oven and bake the cupcakes for 30-35 minutes or until a tester comes out clean and they are light golden on the top.
- Note: If some of the cupcakes should have a little “open crack” on the top. Gently press it down with the back of a spoon, the minute after you have taken the cupcakes out of the oven.
- Transfer the baked cupcakes to a cooling rack and let them cool completely before decorating them with frosting.
TIPS: When making the cupcake batter, only use low/medium speed on your mixer. I like to use my handheld mixer, as this gives me a better feeling with the batter.
It is important that you don’t over beat the batter.
You can use other types of flavor, like almond instead of vanilla.
Or if you would like to try another great cupcake recipe? Why not, try these Best Banana Cupcakes?