During the summer months, pineapple is my favorite fruit. I don’t know if it’s the sour and sweet complexity of the fruit or how it pairs well with so many desserts, but I love it! Pineapple upside down cake is a classic recipe that is well-loved by many. So, bringing these adorable mini upside down cakes to a cookout would make you the hit of the party!
Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cake
2 cans of Dole pineapple slices
1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 package of yellow cake mix
1. Drain the pineapple juice, keep some of the pineapple juice.
2. Stir together the melted butter and brown sugar. Lightly spray a cupcake or muffin tin. Place an even amount of the sugar mixture in the bottom of the muffin cups. Place a pineapple slice in each of the cups. Place a cherry in the middle of a pineapple slice.
3. Prepare the cake mix as the package states, but only add half the recommended water. Then, add in the pineapple juice, replacing the remainder of the water needed in the recipe.
4. Pour and even amount of cake batter into the cupcake tins. Bake at 350F degrees for 20-25 minutes.
5. Once golden brown, let cool for 5-10 minutes. Then loosen the edges f the mini cakes with a knife and invert the muffin pan onto a cookie sheet.
The cake in this recipe is DELICIOUS! Adding the pineapple to the cake mix is an excellent choice! The cake is soft and sweet and the pineapple is nicely caramelized by the brown sugar mixture. However, I would recommend putting the pineapple down first in the pan with the cherries, and then adding the brown sugar mixture before the cake batter. That way the pineapple doesn’t slide off the cake.
I give this recipe an 8/10. A very good twist on a classic recipe, that’s perfect for a summer cookout or dessert with tea!
Enjoy this with all your friends and family this summer season.
Share your creations with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @CakeJournal.
WOW these are so good for parties, perfect Sweet Treats. My sons birthday is approaching soon and this is definitely on the menu. Thanks for the recipe